Board logo

Goodwood Festival of Speed
andy_hem - 13/5/08 at 12:13 PM

I have just purchased a couple of tickets for myself & my brother to go to Goodwood for the weekend .

Has many other people on here been before . I would expect it to be a very good weekend or am i setting my expectations too high

graememk - 13/5/08 at 12:27 PM

another boston person with an indy eh ?

Duncan_P - 13/5/08 at 12:28 PM

Its a really good weekend, I look forward to it every year. Its probably good that you have got weekend tickets as there really is too much to see properly in one day.

One thing that I would say is that it does get really busy especially on sat and sunday. So if you want pics etc of cars in the paddock then earlier on Friday is proably your best bet.

Have you booked where you staying yet? As places tend to go very quickly.

PS if you want advice on decent pubs etc drop me a U2U as I live nearby

Duncan_P - 13/5/08 at 12:35 PM

I think there must be something in the water up there, you seem to muliply like mushrooms

quote:
Originally posted by graememk
another boston person with an indy eh ?

andy_hem - 13/5/08 at 01:16 PM

I have got a couple of rooms booked at the China Inn Hotel & Restaurant in Bognor Regis. I tried loads of places and this is as close as i could get

Duncan_P - 13/5/08 at 01:45 PM

I have no idea what the hotel is like im afraid but your not too far from the Goodwood itself, probably about 6 miles. Getting to Goodwood from Bognor Regis isn't too bad traffic wise (relatively), cetainly a whole lot better than comming from Midhurst way.

There are buses etc laid on if you don't fancy driving up, don't know the exact details though.

pif - 13/5/08 at 03:10 PM

me and the lads (rally slags) av 3 day tickets and a grandstand seats for sunday, campin at the new goodwood site too. never been before. should be ggggrrrrrrrrreeat.

Fred W B - 13/5/08 at 05:31 PM

When I went (in 2005) I stayed at the Chichister local university. They hire out rooms during the uni holidays. Basic, but very cheap with slap up breakfast thrown in. Organized a taxi into goodwood every morning, taxis's use dedicated roads so you miss most of the traffic congestion. In the evening took the dedicated bus back to Chichister for pub supper and then taxi back to digs.

Worked really well for me. I just so happen to have the number of Chichister tourist office here - 01243 775 888

And you will enjoy it, I reckon it's the best thing I've every done with cars.

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 13/5/08 by Fred W B]

TOO BADD - 13/5/08 at 06:38 PM

The Ship at Langstone near Havant is where we eat every year. Good food and beer and dozens of outside tables by the water if you want. It does get busy but the grub is A1

[Edited on 13/5/08 by TOO BADD]

nstrug - 13/5/08 at 07:38 PM

Its worth every penny - especially if you ever played Top Trumps - every single car from the pack is there.

You spend the weekend going 'Oh look, there's Jack Brabham, there's the Tyrell P34, there's Senna's JPS Lotus...' Then you'll see something that just instantly reminds you of looking at car mags as a kid - for me its anything in Martini livery - they had 917s, Lancias, Alfas, all lined up...

Then you'll see a Tipo 33, or a Stratos or Cloverleaf Giulietta or a 250 GTO or something and you'll realise your in car heaven

Every single famous car you can imagine is there, and the great thing is that the paddocks are completely open to the public - no ropes or barriers (except for the current F1 cars) and you can just chat to the mechanics as they prep the car.

Last year, during a downpour, I had a long chat with a chap who was prepping the Ferguson P99 (4wd F1 car from 1961). I remarked on the fact that it has 'Stirling Moss' written on the side and he said 'Yes, he's driving it this afternoon, he's standing behind you...'

Goodwood is an awesome place, hill climb, race circuit, aerodrome, fantastic horseracing on summer evenings.

Basically, Lord March is a lucky bugger, but a very decent chap to open his playground to all us plebs!

Nick

alant - 14/5/08 at 05:02 PM

I have been for the last three years and would agree with all the positive comments.

last year whilst everyone was crowding around the formula1 drivers I was stood just around the corner talking to Allan McNish, really nice block and happy to pose for pictures with the Audi