Board logo

Luego Viento Chassis
shevalev - 7/7/16 at 08:21 AM

Hello,
I am looking into a chassis that would accompany a V8 in a locost, and i managed to come across the Luego Viento chassis. I have seen big blocks and viper engines in them and I am really curious of their dimensions and the places that they are widened and lengthened. It would be even better if anybody would be so kind to share some build plans. All of your input is much appreciated. Thank you

chrisj - 7/7/16 at 04:30 PM

I've got a sbc in mine. A little extra triangulation where possible and make sure that you get it low enough for the air filter to not snag the bonnet. If your in the area your more than welcome to take a look.

shevalev - 7/7/16 at 06:32 PM

Hi,
So i live in Vancouver, Canada, so I probably wont be able to come by. I know that i will need more triangulation,; however, did you widen your chassis at all compared to the book chassis? If so, then by how much, and could you send me a picture of your engine bay, specifically the clearance on the sides of the block with the frame. My goal is to place a big block chevy into one of these and I am just having a difficult time designing a chassis that will be suitable for this project. I noticed that the viento chassis can fit a viper engine so i am really curious to know the dimensions of specifically the LD, F1, F2, LC, H, C, E, and B2 members. This would help me so much. If you don't mind sharing the measurements from your chassis, I would greatly appreciate your help. Thank you!

chrisj - 8/7/16 at 08:54 PM

It was standard viento chassis. Didn't have to widen or lengthen. I did have the benefit of being 2 miles down the road from the factory but it's standard chassis.

The biggest problem is cooling the engine. I fitted an oil cooler in front of the radiator and it works pretty well.

Good luck with shoe horning the big block in.

shevalev - 9/7/16 at 12:39 AM

That is really neat that you're so close to the factory; however, I was intending to build my own Luego chassis. I remember reading somewhere that the Luego chassis is 12 inches longer, 6 inches wider and 4 inches taller than the locost chassis. I was just wanting to know the actual measurements to confirm if that is correct, so i would have the ability to base my measurements off the book chassis and what book chassis, the Chris Gibbs' book or the http://sevenesque.com/plans/ Do you kind of understand what i am trying to do here? Thank you for your help

chrisj - 9/7/16 at 10:07 AM

Sure. I don't have the books but i can try and give you dimensions from the chassis when i get it back from the shop.

Send me a drawing of the dimensions which are the one's which your interested in and I'll try and take them and send them back.

SteveWallace - 9/7/16 at 10:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by shevalev
That is really neat that you're so close to the factory; however, I was intending to build my own Luego chassis.

Luego is a company so you cannot build your own Luego chassis - they sell them pre-made. For sure, you could build an exact copy of a Luego Viento chassis if someone gives you the dimensions, but you might want to check to see if there are any design rights on it first. It would be a shame to go to all that effort only to get a letter from a lawyer saying that you had to crush it.

Luego is a very small company so its probably unlikely that legal action will really happen, particularly since you live in a different country, so its probably down to your conscience more than anything else. Also, I'm not sure to what extent the design is generic but bigger and therefore that it cannot be protected anyway. No doubt someone on here will know more about it than me.

One thing for sure is that you couldn't sell it as a Luego chassis.

shevalev - 10/7/16 at 06:46 AM

Hi ChrisJ,
So i got some of the dimensions that I would like to know. I have labeled them with the marker and you could just attach the dimensions after the beam letters. This would greatly help me. Thank you in advance for your measurements! Greatly appreciated.
Here is the link to the drawings: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9LNS6IXSojkYXBjNWMzLWJQYlk

Thank you again