Board logo

stonleigh (now with recent pics of car)
soggy 3 - 26/4/07 at 10:38 PM

Hello fellow avoners ,who is going to stonleigh this year in their avon?
I think we should have quite a lot on the road by now it would be good to see a few parked up together,I should be there with mine this year(only taken five years)its only 95% finished so will be trailoring it,i couldnt face another show moaping about without a car so i am like a headless chicken at the mo trying to do all the small time consuming jobs so it looks as good as done for the show.
I have started to do some SVA prep but if there are any pointers i will need to know or any potential problems you spot feel free to point them out to me i will be lurking about somewhere.

[Edited on 26/4/07 by soggy 3]

[Edited on 28/4/07 by soggy 3]

t.j. - 27/4/07 at 06:52 AM

nice!

I don't know the SVA-rules so no really help there.

Good luck.

The exhaust clamb at the two-to-one isn't painfull?

nick205 - 27/4/07 at 07:03 AM

nice clean looking build

graememk - 27/4/07 at 07:25 AM

what do you need to do to get a sva ?

02GF74 - 27/4/07 at 07:42 AM

ignition lead no.1 is lying on top of the exuast ; even though the exhaust is wrapped, that can't be good for it.

DaveFJ - 27/4/07 at 08:16 AM

Very nice, how did you do the transmission top cover - looks great

soggy 3 - 27/4/07 at 08:24 AM

Ignition lead was moved so dont worry.
The tunnel top is something i made out of ally it also has a sunken hand brake.
I had the use of a roller and a folder at work also the welder is a nice chap.

[Edited on 27/4/07 by soggy 3]

supercat - 27/4/07 at 12:49 PM

Looks great!

Couple of questions - whats the plate on the steering rack mounts, and which aeroscreen is that?

Cheers, James

DaveFJ - 27/4/07 at 01:27 PM

I'm guessing the plate is because older Tiger chassis fial SVA for too much flex in th mounts?

I have put a brace on the side of mine.

timwest167 - 27/4/07 at 02:17 PM

There were reports of some Avons failing due to the rack supports not being rigid enough. To be safe some Avon builders (including myself) have added extra bracing bolting the brackets to each other, and sometimes to upright chassis members as well.

I'm not sure how valid the fails were, or if they were a result of overly fussy examiners. I just didn't want to risk it!

I do not believe that Tiger have modified this at all. " We've never had a problem".....

[Edited on 27/4/07 by timwest167]

soggy 3 - 27/4/07 at 03:38 PM

Correct to the above i didnt want to take any risks!
The aero screen is a caterham one i think its the johnathan palmer one it came with the part finished kit when i brought it.
So back to my question how many avons are going?

[Edited on 27/4/07 by soggy 3]

DaveFJ - 27/4/07 at 03:52 PM

I saw a new chassis recently and there is now a small web welded to the left hand support to add extra bracing.

andrew.carwithen - 27/4/07 at 06:46 PM

Although I hope to be there, alas, my Avon won't. (Still, it'll be there next year!)

I second the tranny tunnel very smart. Did you lower the handbrake mounts as well as making the indent in the ali top?

Like others, I've also braced the rack mounts by welding a flat bar across them and then to the nearside chassis.

Andy.

[Edited on 27/4/07 by andrew.carwithen]

fideel109 - 27/4/07 at 07:09 PM

I'm leaving Belgium for Stoneleigh at saturday morning.
It's about 38O miles to Stoneleigh I've quite a trip ahead.
I hope to see some of your guys on sunday at the show, where can I find some of you????
I can't come with my avon, I'm still waiting for my numberplates to arrive what a pity...
cheers-JP

soggy 3 - 28/4/07 at 08:40 AM

Its a shame your cars wont be present but you will have to introduce yourselves i think i will be parked in the tiger owners club area.
You are correct i have lowered the handbrake and tilted it forward a bit it doesnt sit under your elbow so much now.
Fideel why have you got to wait so long for your plates?

DIY Si - 28/4/07 at 09:09 AM

You'll be needing a bonnet too!
Otherwise looking good there mate. When you going to Stoneleigh? Sunday or Monday? Looks nice with the new wheels.

fideel109 - 28/4/07 at 12:01 PM

@soggy
Belgium isn't so kitcar friendly as the UK.
We're not allowed to build our own cars
The only way to get it registered in Belgium, to get a registration in another european country. There's an european law which says that they can't refuse to register a car with an european registration
So we do SVA in the UK, and when we have our UK registration, we can start all over again doing a kind of SVA in Belgium.
But all of this takes a lot of time, and that when the weather is so goooood...
cheers-JP

keith - 28/4/07 at 12:05 PM

hi,nice build by the way,my self and brother-in-law will be there(keith & larry)in our kawasaki green zx9r"s,we are going to camp overnite just for the crack,any one else camping,and if so does any one know were you pitch the tent,is it on the tiger site or elsewhere???? Rescued attachment both cars outside pub.jpg
Rescued attachment both cars outside pub.jpg

andrew.carwithen - 28/4/07 at 12:36 PM

Soggy,
Notice you're using same accelerator pedal as me (and using bike carbs.) Did you fit an additional return spring of any kind to assist with throttle return? or are you just reliant on the original throttle return springs on the carbs?
Just that mine seems too light underfoot and would like to beef it up a bit.
Also, where did you get the carbon effect handbrake surround?

Andy.

soggy 3 - 28/4/07 at 04:03 PM

Hello again well here goes
Si the bonnet is being fitted this weekend i have to make the brackets for the zeus fasteners lots of fiddling,I am trying to talk the wife into camping for the weekend
Fideel i thought getting a car on the road in this country was bad enough!
keith i have chatted to you or your dad/father in-law (cant remember) before
they are a pair of sweet builds, see you there.
Andy the return spring on the carbs isnt man enough to return the pedal properly so will be fitting a secondary return spring one of my things to do before the showIf i find out why my fan doesnt cut in i should be able to do a few laps of the show ground if so remind me and i will give you a ride.The carbon surrond was brought from europa they should be at the show.

ayoungman - 28/4/07 at 08:28 PM

I'll be going, but without the Avon
I'll be wearing a red Locostbuilders polo shirt. If you see me, give me a shout !

matt.c - 28/4/07 at 08:51 PM

WOW!

That one of the best avon's i have ever seen!
VERY NICE BUILD

car builder - 28/4/07 at 10:53 PM

hi, iam hoping to drive mine down to the show.

what are the seats you have and how much room do u have with them.?

soggy 3 - 29/4/07 at 07:10 AM

The seats are westfield race ones they also came with the kit, i cut the bottom off them that was on there to mount seat runners and it lowered them a lot,then side mounted them,the base virtualy touches the floor now.I am 6ft and have loads of leg room.
Matt we never did get to race LFS as team locost kept missing each other, i now have a S2 license.

matt.c - 29/4/07 at 08:53 PM

Matt we never did get to race LFS as team locost kept missing each other, i now have a S2 license.

Not got s2 yet!

I race under other names now, U2U me for the names

soggy 3 - 2/5/07 at 09:51 AM

I am camping over night now, sun/mon.
Shall i bring the barbie?

fideel109 - 2/5/07 at 06:23 PM

Hi,
I'll be looking for your car, it wouldn't be hard to find, it's a very nice build!!!
Hopefully the rain stays away.
cheers-JP

andrew.carwithen - 7/5/07 at 04:51 PM

Met 'Soggy' (Mark) at the show and having seen his car in the flesh, the pictures really don't do it justice! He has built himself a very, very nice Avon and the tunnel top really is a work of art (and I want one! )
It was also encouraging to see several more Avons at the show (3 years ago I remember only seeing two) and no matter what the probs with bodywork quality etc. I still say that once completed, the Avon is one of the 'prettiest' sevens out there (then again, I am biased.)
I'm now going to attack my build with renewed enthusiasm and vigour 'cos I am going to take my Avon next year come hell or high water!! (instead of passengering in my mate's Cat!)

Andy.

soggy 3 - 8/5/07 at 09:58 PM

Hi Mate

Great to meet you at last. The first thing people asked me all weekend was where did I get the tunnel top from? Maybe I should take moulds from it and make fibreglass versions!
Its a shame I got there so late on the Sunday as Monday was a wash out.
Whilst I was there I got some locostbuilders stickers made up (I will post pics soon) They look really good on the side of the car.

DaveFJ - 9/5/07 at 11:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andrew.carwithen

I'm now going to attack my build with renewed enthusiasm and vigour 'cos I am going to take my Avon next year come hell or high water!! (instead of passengering in my mate's Cat!)

Andy.

You and me both

Soggy - moulds of that tunnel top sound like as good idea to me!

soggy 3 - 20/5/07 at 09:07 PM

Hi everyone,did anyone get some pics of my car at the show as i didnt manage to take that many(busy talking).

DaveFJ - 21/5/07 at 08:00 AM

I took a few - will upload them later....

DaveFJ - 21/5/07 at 04:25 PM

Ere ya go...

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

soggy 3 - 21/5/07 at 08:04 PM

Cheers dave
They are some good quality pics, I have been having a break from it for a couple of
weeks as i ate and slept tiger avon leading up to the show!

Rudy - 22/5/07 at 06:13 AM

Hey soggy guess you worked a lot to make your car so nice!
A question: hod did you fix side vinil panel ?

soggy 3 - 22/5/07 at 09:52 PM

Hi rudy,I just bonded them on with evo-stick at the top with a couple of rivets at the bottom where you cant see them.
And yes i did spend a lot of time building it I dread to think how many thousands of hours i have worked over the last 5 years!

[Edited on 22/5/07 by soggy 3]

Rickaaay - 25/10/07 at 02:38 PM

very nicely done car, any chance of going for a spin when its done?

Trems - 16/3/08 at 08:58 PM

Mate what screen is that, looks like a perfect fit on the avon???

Cheers
-Paul

quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ
Ere ya go...

Description
Description

soggy 3 - 17/3/08 at 10:30 PM

Hi,it came with the unfinshed kit and as far as i know its a caterham jps screen,its not a bad fit but i fitted a cut down screen rubber to fill the small gap.