Board logo

Age of ZX9 engine??
JT71 - 3/12/07 at 09:59 PM

I'm currently trying to decide whether to get my curent gearbox rebuilt (it recently went bang), or replace it with an entire new engine / gearbox.

The engine number starts with ZX9 00E - is there any way of working out which derivative / age this is? If it's an older engine, I guess it may be better to change the whole engine rather than rebuild the gearbox on a potentially old engine. I have a receipt from 2003 to say it's been reconditioned, so I'm assuming it's fairly old. If this is the case, any ideas what BHP it's rated at?

(the other option is to splash out and change to a 2006 R1 engine)!

Jubal - 3/12/07 at 10:24 PM

A quick google threw up the Haynes manual which reckons the ZX900E is a 2000/1 model.

roadrunner - 3/12/07 at 10:49 PM

I would replace the engine, you can pick on up fairly cheap, and you can use your old one as spares.
The ZX9R E are supposed to have bomb proof gearboxes, had yours been miss treated.

Peteff - 4/12/07 at 12:25 AM

My 98 C2 engine number starts with ZX9 OOE as well so the figures there are nothing to go by. Does your engine have a cam position sensor as the 900 E engines didn't.

NigeEss - 4/12/07 at 10:57 AM

According to Kawasaki UK you CANNOT tell the year from the engine number !
I found this whist trying to find one for my ZX10. The best you can do is ball park years from the likes of Haynes.

mackei23b - 4/12/07 at 11:51 AM

If you write to Kawaski UK they will give you a year for your engine.

I've got letter from them stating the year of my engine.

Cheers

Ian

P.S.

B1-4has an external generator.
C1 / C2 have the cam sensor
E series no cam sensor

Kawaski.com has the parts diagrams for info

[Edited on 4/12/07 by mackei23b]

Minicooper@work - 4/12/07 at 12:23 PM

You should at least be able to tell which series engine you have and this may help your decision on engines.
The later E series engines have a circles moulded on top of the carbs also a different ecu, the haynes manual shows the difference between ecu's for instance, I think that's right

Cheers
David

NigeEss - 5/12/07 at 11:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mackei23b
If you write to Kawaski UK they will give you a year for your engine.

I've got letter from them stating the year of my engine.

Cheers

Ian

Curious as when I rang them they stated it couldn't be done. Admittedly I did find it absurd.

Nige

Wadders - 5/12/07 at 05:03 PM

like Pete posted early on, 'C's have a cam position sensor, 'E's don't. 'B's are completely different and have an external alternator.
Try to find an 'E', the box is much better.

Al.