Board logo

Adhesive number plate
Monkeybasher - 15/4/08 at 07:35 PM

Hi,

After searching on here I believe my adhesive number plate is illegal....ish. So will this fail the MOT then? The spacing and fonts etc are all correct.

If it will fail an MOT I will have to put my hard normal number plate on, but for obvious reasons I don't want to peel the stick on one off so I will have two front plates, do you think this will pass ok?

Cheers

Steve

gregf27 - 15/4/08 at 07:37 PM

had one on mine , passed no problems!!

JUD - 15/4/08 at 07:41 PM

Find a friendly MOT centre... somebody that is not a jobsworth.

ReMan - 15/4/08 at 07:43 PM

It's what the passenger seat is for

Monkeybasher - 15/4/08 at 07:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JUD
Find a friendly MOT centre... somebody that is not a jobsworth.

Ye I did have, but the mechanics moved, rubbish
I Never used to have to put fog light on or worry about emissions etc.

I'll give it a bash with just the stick on plate and see what happens.

Cheers guys

Steve

[Edited on 15/4/08 by Monkeybasher]

Monkeybasher - 15/4/08 at 07:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
It's what the passenger seat is for

LOL

owelly - 15/4/08 at 07:51 PM

The reflective bit needs to be BS approved. Just velcro the hard plate on for the MOT and keep it with the vehicle should the BiB have a whinge.

eccsmk - 15/4/08 at 07:57 PM

i had a chat with the lad who does my mot's
he said as far as mots go as long as the number plate is easy to read its passable

the policeman who pulled me on my way home from the mot said that altho the mot tester could pass it he couldn't let me get away with it!!

worX - 15/4/08 at 08:04 PM

As someone mentioned above, just temp fit the hard one ASWELL and then both parties are happy - even happier when the hard one falls off two mins after you pull back into your garage

Steve

UncleFista - 15/4/08 at 08:08 PM

The "new" MOT rules are very strict where number plates are concerned, they must be absolutely bog standard.

Within a few days of the new rules, they were suspended[1] and any 'plate that can be read must be passed. Dunno whether that's changed once again or not...

[1] Due to a large number of new-ish vehicles failing the test.

RazMan - 15/4/08 at 09:45 PM

Common sense comes into it here - as long as you are seen to try and conform without taking the wee then most testers and plods will turn a blind eye.
Just stay away from non reflective backgrounds, fancy fonts and silly sizes

Howlor - 16/4/08 at 09:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
Common sense comes into it here - as long as you are seen to try and conform without taking the wee then most testers and plods will turn a blind eye.
Just stay away from non reflective backgrounds, fancy fonts and silly sizes

Exactly right I think. If you try to comply and don't take the wee then you will be fine.

Steve