Board logo

Wheels with a single nut
MakeEverything - 22/1/11 at 11:19 PM

I quite fancy a set of wheels with a spline and a single spinner to hold them on. Anyone know what theyre called? I dont think Wire Wheels would suit the car, but i cant think what the alloy versions are called.

Just a thought at the moment.

Like this;

[Edited on 22-1-11 by MakeEverything]

scootz - 22/1/11 at 11:24 PM

Centre-lock...

MakeEverything - 22/1/11 at 11:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Centre-lock...

There it is. Thanks Scootz.

Next question, has anyone used a hub adapter for sierra hubs before?

[Edited on 22-1-11 by MakeEverything]

britishtrident - 22/1/11 at 11:29 PM

Peg drive Jag were the first to use it onthe D type and Lotus used them between about 1967 and 74 ---- from experience I know they are real pain in the a*** for the nut slackening off.
The version used on F1 cars has a very clever locking mechanism but wheels still come off f1 cars pretty regularly.

MakeEverything - 22/1/11 at 11:34 PM

Just playing with ideas whilst not working on the car!!

PSpirine - 22/1/11 at 11:34 PM

It's a stupid way to hold wheels on. The only advantage it offers is that it's quicker to do in a pitstop.

The torque will forever be trying to undo the nuts (depending on which way they are, it'll be either under braking or under acceleration).

They do look cool though

scootz - 22/1/11 at 11:43 PM

Most road-going cars with modern centre-locks have nut-retaining pins.

greggors84 - 23/1/11 at 01:04 AM

You can get some alloys that have a centre cap that covers the 4 or 5 wheel nuts but looks like a big single nut. Not sure who do them but have seen them on a few cars before.

As said, for road use they would be a real pain in the arse as you would have to check them every time you went out. And you would probably have to invest in a new torque wrench as the big alloy type nuts usually have to be done up to about 200lbft. We use a 5ft long 3/4" torque wrench to set the ones on our race cars.

Edit: I found a photo of the wheels i was talking about, the ones I saw had coloured ally nuts. Team Dynamics by the way.

[Edited on 23/1/2011 by greggors84]

steve m - 23/1/11 at 09:09 AM

I have had in the past an MG midget with wire wheels, and a a Lotus 2+2 with alloys and centre spinners

I also had a E-type, but never had that one th road

apart from the quite sexy look,of centre spinners they are a real PITA, and need a clout with a hide/copper almost daily

Steve

liam.mccaffrey - 23/1/11 at 09:40 AM

A fella down the road has a vauxhal van with them and has a locking pin through the lot. Does look good

loggyboy - 23/1/11 at 11:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by greggors84
You can get some alloys that have a centre cap that covers the 4 or 5 wheel nuts but looks like a big single nut. Not sure who do them but have seen them on a few cars before.

Edit: I found a photo of the wheels i was talking about, the ones I saw had coloured ally nuts. Team Dynamics by the way.

[Edited on 23/1/2011 by greggors84]

They were on a few types in the mid/late 90s.

Deam Dyn, 100+ and TSW had them available (I think some were options and you could choose colours of the anodised centres.

[Edited on 23/1/11 by loggyboy]

Confused but excited. - 23/1/11 at 12:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by greggors84

Compomotive do them. I have a set of chunky five spoke,15inchx7s as fitted to Ferraris.