Board logo

Securing Coolant hoses using these brackets?
killerferret666 - 4/12/13 at 09:01 AM

Has anyone ever used these to secure coolant hoses before, Self tapped on to chassis then clipped in.

Thoughts??

I need to run heater hoses so this was my thought as I need 30mm clips. Its either these or P clips of course.

Bluemoon - 4/12/13 at 09:17 AM

I would not, likely to chaff whatever hose is clipped due to vibration...

But if you lined them i.e. put the hose inside a hose it would probably be o.k.

I would not bee keen on tappers, as well but this is personal thing, would rather used rivets (the self tappers will work o.k but don't seal the tube and can strip as the pitch of the screw is about the same as the wall thickness of the tube...)..

Dan

[Edited on 4/12/13 by Bluemoon]

mcerd1 - 4/12/13 at 09:22 AM

I've not used them, but its not a milion miles away from the plastic ones that tin-tops use

the only issue I can think of is with them being metal they could eat into the hoses with the vibration, so maybe a little bit of sleeving at the points where its clipped might be a good idea

the only other option is to use metal pipes for any long runs (solidly fixed) and just use rubber/silicon for the bends

btw - what do you call that kind of clip ? - I needs some for my kitchen...

killerferret666 - 4/12/13 at 09:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
I would not, likely to chaff whatever hose is clipped due to vibration...

But if you lined them i.e. put the hose inside a hose it would probably be o.k.

I would not bee keen on tappers, as well but this is personal thing, would rather used rivets (the self tappers will work o.k but don't seal the tube and can strip as the pitch of the screw is about the same as the wall thickness of the tube...)..

Dan

[Edited on 4/12/13 by Bluemoon]

Thanks Dan, Lining them I had thought of but as this is on top of the console which is going to be a crowded area I dont want to be doing it again so Ill go back to my original thought of Rivnuts and P Clips.

[Edited on 4/12/13 by killerferret666]

killerferret666 - 4/12/13 at 09:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

Its a called a Spring clamp, cheapest place is this site

http://uk.opitec.com/

just search and you get plastic and metal ones as a result in various sizes.

Bluemoon - 4/12/13 at 09:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by killerferret666
quote:

Plastic ones might be o.k (vibration wise)..

killerferret666 - 4/12/13 at 09:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
quote:
Originally posted by killerferret666
quote:

Plastic ones might be o.k (vibration wise)..

Unfortunately only go up to 22mm on the plastic coated ones and I need the largest size. I'll play it safe I just liked the easy remove option by this solution as I'm sure as I continue to fit things I'll have to keep moving bits to secure other parts.

davidimurray - 4/12/13 at 09:52 AM

Can you get a metal P-clip then steel the rubber lining off that and put it on the clamp you suggested?

killerferret666 - 4/12/13 at 10:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by davidimurray
Can you get a metal P-clip then steel the rubber lining off that and put it on the clamp you suggested?

Yes that will probably work.

Ahhh decisions!! If I secure them and use Rubber protection I can't see how they would Fail IVA as you'd have to give them a good tug to get them out.

That company posted has a minimum price order for them, so Ebay to the rescue again

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-X-Professional-Steel-Spring-Terry-Tool-Clips-13mm-38mm-All-Sizes-Snap-Clip-/290910531820

r1_pete - 4/12/13 at 10:06 AM

How about using a bit of heat shrink tubing on each leg of the spring clip? Would provide the protection you need, and heat shrink is very abrasion resistant.

killerferret666 - 4/12/13 at 10:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
How about using a bit of heat shrink tubing on each leg of the spring clip? Would provide the protection you need, and heat shrink is very abrasion resistant.

thats another option as well.

Ok I've ordered some steel spring clamps and some P clips for the rubber bits, if it doesnt work as I want I can always just use the P clips

I'll post some pictures and feedback afterwards as there is nothing more annoying then finding a thread when searching without the outcome!

[Edited on 4/12/13 by killerferret666]

Sloan85 - 4/12/13 at 10:20 AM

I made large p clips from a strip of aluminium and some edge trim.

Cut the aluminium to length, bend round something similar size to hose, cut two lengths of edge trim to protct sharp edges. Simple and virtually "free" as it can be done with offcuts. I made a few to hold hoses in different positions by bending the aluminium differently at the bottom.

Check out in my build diary. LINK

[Edited on 4/12/13 by Sloan85]

killerferret666 - 4/12/13 at 10:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sloan85
I made large p clips from a strip of aluminium and some edge trim.

Cut the aluminium to length, bend round something similar size to hose, cut two lengths of edge trim to protct sharp edges. Simple and virtually "free" as it can be done with offcuts. I made a few to hold hoses in different positions by bending the aluminium differently at the bottom.

Check out in my build diary. LINK

thanks, I just took a look I will use that technique where I need to mount the hose P clip away from the chassis as you did in your 2nd P clip on your blog.

davidimurray - 4/12/13 at 11:03 AM

If your looking at securing them for IVA you might want to check with the inspector if they need to be. My inspector was only interested in fuel, cable and brakes. I have 2 clips on the whole of my cooling system - one off the rocker cover to hold a hose away from the cam pulley and another to hold the hose away from the sparkplugs - the rest are all self supporting. I have however covered some bits of hose with extra rubber so they can not chaff if the engine moves/vibrates.

killerferret666 - 4/12/13 at 11:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by davidimurray
If your looking at securing them for IVA you might want to check with the inspector if they need to be. My inspector was only interested in fuel, cable and brakes. I have 2 clips on the whole of my cooling system - one off the rocker cover to hold a hose away from the cam pulley and another to hold the hose away from the sparkplugs - the rest are all self supporting. I have however covered some bits of hose with extra rubber so they can not chaff if the engine moves/vibrates.

These brackets are actually for heater hose running from the rear (where the engine is) to the front of the passenger cabin, so although coolant system not actually fro the main purpose per say; so they are around 3metres in length so ill definitely need to secure them and the particular areas I'm looking at in terms of these clips are the securing from the cabin to the heater matrix.

britishtrident - 4/12/13 at 12:54 PM

As already said just cover the sharp bits with a couple of layers heat shrink.
Similar clips are used on production car plumbing but only where there is not a lot of relative movement.

40inches - 4/12/13 at 03:25 PM

You could secure them with a cable tie around the top ears.

907 - 4/12/13 at 05:16 PM

Just a bit of trivia.

Originally made by Herbert Terry & Sons, Redditch. (est 1855)

Hence they are know as "Terry Clips"

They can be bought plastic coated nowadays, in fact I have them holding a pump to my road bike frame.

Cheers,
Paul G

killerferret666 - 6/12/13 at 09:51 PM

So the parts came.

10x L brackets
20x Spring Clamps / Terry Clips
10x P clips

So I took the P clip rubber off and put slits in it and fitted it to the Spring clips.

I then attached it on to the L bracket, You'll notice I have 4. The 2 with rubber hoses on are for the heater pipes and the other 2 (which I will get more P clip rubber for) are for the aircon pipes. That should neatly hold them on top of the car tunnel.

[Edited on 6/12/13 by killerferret666]