Board logo

Caterham De-Dion ears
DIY Si - 24/5/14 at 11:54 AM

A long shot, but does anyone know, or could measure, the thickness of the Caterham De-Dion ears for me? I might need to make some/get some made, and have no reference for how thick they are, or what they're made of either!

sam919 - 24/5/14 at 08:34 PM

What camber are you looking for? They are generally tapered from bottom to top, so thickness will be different. They are CNC machined Ali, and have either a radial or opt through caliper mounting radials usually for the ap brakes.I would have thought it cheaper to buy than get manufactured

DIY Si - 25/5/14 at 06:04 PM

It may be cheaper to buy them, but I won't be spending £120 on something if it's not the right thickness for what I need. Whilst they do taper, the standard ones are only 1.5 degree, so nothing that will ruin anything.

phelix - 11/7/14 at 09:12 AM

Do you still need the thickness measurement? I have a pair in the garage somewhere...

DIY Si - 11/7/14 at 09:30 PM

I've been told they're 28-31mm thick, but if you could confirm that it would be handy. Or if you have a set going spare that would be even better!!

phelix - 12/7/14 at 05:17 PM

the set I have dates back to 96-97 and is about 26.5mm thick at the bottom tapering to 24.5 as measured with a tape measure. That works out to 0.9 degrees of camber and the ears are stamped "7" which I believe means they are supposed to provide 0.7 degrees of negative camber which was the norm in those days.

DIY Si - 12/7/14 at 10:37 PM

Thanks for that. Are they steel or ally? I know the new ones are, but curious as to what options Caterham went through.

phelix - 13/7/14 at 05:12 AM

They are definitely alloy.