Board logo

Sierra Top Column Bush
PeterW - 13/6/07 at 11:05 PM

I want to remove all the alloy crap at the top of my steering column and just leave a plain tube with a single new stalk for the indicators.

However, the alloy bit holds the top bearing for the inner column and I'm damned if I can work out a decent way to put a bearing back into the top so the column doesn't wobble.

So 2 questions...

Anyone done it before...?

How did you do it...?

I don't want to reinvent the wheel for the sake of picking someones brains if possible !

Also, if I pull hard on the column the bottom bearing pulls out of its tube (Tiger Cat E1). How can I stop that..? Jubilee clip below the mounting..?

Cheers

Pete

bigrich - 13/6/07 at 11:15 PM

you can use a jubilee clip to secue the lower bush and this is my column top i just use a on/off/on toggle switch on the dasy for the indicators

Rich

PeterW - 14/6/07 at 08:06 AM

Rich

That looks like you have turned down the top alloy steering lock assembly..? IS that the case..?

I was looking to replace it entirely - not sure whether I could use a Delrin rod or somthing similar to make a bearing to fit.

Cheers

Pete

ayoungman - 14/6/07 at 10:50 AM

Can you get a large spherical joint(rose joint) to replace the complete bearing. That would allow you to secure the top of the column properly. HTH

PeterW - 14/6/07 at 04:15 PM

Thought about a bearing, but the size of the tubes involved (19/20mm bore, 36mm outer) means there are very few bearings that meet those requirements.

I was thinking the sort of forces a steering wheel gets, a long delrin or similar bearing may work better. Anyone able to turn something down like that for beer tokens..?

Looks like I need to keep thinking...

Pete