Board logo

gaz or protech
mr T - 18/6/07 at 07:20 PM

thinking of getting some new coilovers for a westy narrowed it down to gaz gold or protech as anyone got any reports thanks

andyharding - 18/6/07 at 07:58 PM

Gaz

mark.s - 18/6/07 at 08:03 PM

Protech all day long

iiyama - 18/6/07 at 08:24 PM

Got Gaz Gold fitted to the Rush although car isnt running yet.

However if your looking for weight saving then it has to be Protech. Gaz units are much heavier. The only alloy that appears to have been used it on the spring retainer and the large nuts that the C spanner fits.

RazMan - 18/6/07 at 08:29 PM

Not sure about Gaz but the Protec shocks are infinitely adjustable for damping...... which is nice

DRC INDY 7 - 18/6/07 at 09:09 PM

Protech

dazdcfc - 18/6/07 at 09:14 PM

had gaz just changed to protech lot lighter and the factory carnt help you enough.chhers daz.

ayoungman - 18/6/07 at 11:06 PM

protech. Lighter than AVOs too. Very, very helpful sales team too. Would recommend them to everyone

ghuncha - 19/6/07 at 04:43 AM

whats the price differece....

worX - 19/6/07 at 05:38 AM

well I know of a kit manufacturer that has told me the same as his statement...

quote:
Originally posted by CaLviNx
Hi

Pro-tech Or Avo

I'm not happy with the way the main man @ Gaz @ Newark Said a kit maker had thought pro-tech was sh*t and would now only use Gaz, when said bod was told "ok I will go over and ask that kit maker to confirm the claim" the man from Gaz started to stammer & back pedal and stammer again, saying it might not have been that actual kit maker... hmm methinks I smell bullsh*t "I will get back to you" I said, ye right.....

nre - 19/6/07 at 07:13 AM

Well I've run Protechs on the Mojo from new, now done over 15k miles in 30 months, and they look as good as new (when I give them a clean..!). Had great service from Protech, they replaced a damper shaft which got damaged in 'normal use' (best guess is flying bit of gravel or similar) at no charge, revalved at no charge, and swapped damper shafts for a custom length to suit my application for £30. Always a pleasure to deal with, and Kevin is always keen to chat and make sure you are happy.
Well recommended!

procomp - 19/6/07 at 07:34 AM

Hi it's either GAZ or PROTEC or move up to more expencive items.

And for more info regarding the open lenth to use on the westfield try research on the WSCC forum. It will be 12.4" for the front and either the std 14" or more lickley 13" for the rears but it's all dependent on you ride hieght/ground clearence with the sump situation.

cheers matt

omega 24 v6 - 19/6/07 at 11:38 AM

quote:

Hi it's either GAZ or PROTEC or move up to more expencive items.

Why more expenxive??
What price are you paying for Gaz or Protech??
Look at the price of AVO's on the merlin motorsport webite www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk

procomp - 19/6/07 at 01:27 PM

Hi what i mean is if you are using the cheaper end of the market ie GAZ - AVO - PROTEC - SPAX.

Then use either GAZ or PROTEC if however you are thinking of going for 3-4 way adjustable then move up to OHLINS or PENSKIES from spa.

cheers matt

mr T - 19/6/07 at 07:53 PM

Thanks everyone. rang the bloke at dampertech he likes to slag foke off so he's out of the picture even if they are any good. ordered set of 4 protec through chris @ mnr think i got a good deal but my lips are sealed 12.5 front with 300lbs springs 14 rear with 175lbs springs

Coose - 19/6/07 at 07:55 PM

Following the statement below, I had a conversation with possibly the same bloke at Harrogate a couple of years ago. I was trying to get some new dampers to fit the back of my oddball Striker, and was stood with who I *think* was the owner of Gaz, and Mel from Raw. We were discussing damper lengths, when Mr Gaz suddenly became astounded that I used the dampers as the stop at full sag, saying that it'd smash them to bits!

My only response was to look at Mel and say "What have all Strikers ever used, and any other car foir that matter?". To which Mel replied, "The damper, of course!"

That goes to show a man who knows his product.....

quote:
Originally posted by CaLviNx
Hi

Pro-tech Or Avo

I'm not happy with the way the main man @ Gaz @ Newark Said a kit maker had thought pro-tech was sh*t and would now only use Gaz, when said bod was told "ok I will go over and ask that kit maker to confirm the claim" the man from Gaz started to stammer & back pedal and stammer again, saying it might not have been that actual kit maker... hmm methinks I smell bullsh*t "I will get back to you" I said, ye right.....

[Edited on 19/6/07 by Coose]