Board logo

Recomend me... a torque wrench!
Jasongray5 - 24/6/09 at 10:28 AM

Just a general purpose for my build, so crank bolts, suspension bolts, and all that jazz?
Not sure what rating to get. Would prefer 1/2 inch, and around £20ish?
What do we think?
Cheers Guys Jas Gray

m8kwr - 24/6/09 at 10:38 AM

Screwfix

and £3.03 change

BenB - 24/6/09 at 11:02 AM

I've got the two draper wrenches which cover the usual ranges nicely.

Usual tips apply IE make sure you zero the wrench after use / when in storage. And don't over crank it IE once it clicks stop cranking....

mad4x4 - 24/6/09 at 11:32 AM

Argos used to do one at about £16

but that was years ago.

1/2" drive

bassett - 24/6/09 at 12:39 PM

I have always used the machine mart budget one. Its not bad but im unsure how accurate it is. If buying again i wouldnt mind shelling out an extra 20 quid on the Halfords one. Never saw any problems with them when i worked there they recieved good feedback

coozer - 24/6/09 at 01:40 PM

Torqueleader wrenches are superb quality but they aren't very cheap

Maradona - 24/6/09 at 02:16 PM

I dont know the price there in england, but for me the best mark is SnapOn or Craftman, if you buy some of these, last forever.

cheers

Diego

[Edited on 24/6/09 by Maradona]

flak monkey - 24/6/09 at 02:49 PM

Britool all the way.

The cheap ones can be miles out on the torque settings, so if its for critical bits (head bolts) I wouldnt use anything other than a good quality one.

ashg - 24/6/09 at 03:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Britool all the way.

The cheap ones can be miles out on the torque settings, so if its for critical bits (head bolts) I wouldnt use anything other than a good quality one.

agreed.

personally i wouldnt go any less than £50 for a cheepie one but to get a proper calibrated one your looking at £150 plus.

sickbag - 24/6/09 at 03:47 PM

One of the Halfords professional range torque wrenches.

They have very good over-torque capabilities without losing accuracy, And if you do break it they'll replace it for free.

Worth the extra, and you're not over paying for a name.

SeaBass - 24/6/09 at 04:29 PM

Norbar all the way - Rolls Royce use them for jet engines... Nuff said.

http://www.norbar.com/

Oh wait you said £20 not £200!

I love the way people always recommend something far more expensive.

[Edited on 24/6/09 by SeaBass]

Mix - 24/6/09 at 04:44 PM

Hi

All torque wrenches should be callibrated periodically, ideally before each use. Cheap ones may be less accurate but even my Snap On ones have 'drifted' over time and can no longer be set from the scale, (luckily I have access to setting devices).

The best 'locost' torque wrench is a spring balance, a calculator, (for the arithmetically challenged, (me)), and a combination spanner.

Regards Mick

rusty nuts - 24/6/09 at 06:54 PM

Have to agree that Britool torque wrenches take some beating but not cheap .