Board logo

Red Diesel in a parts washer
Irony - 11/6/10 at 10:08 AM

After reading back posts about what to use in parts washers it seems that parafin or diesel or a mix of these seems to be what people recommend.

After a asking at work the boss said I could take 10 litres out of the works red diesel tank to use in the parts washer. Is the dye going to make much difference? Or should I just not bother?

Anyone know a place that sells parafin in Lincoln?

blakep82 - 11/6/10 at 10:28 AM

interesting. would like to know myself. i've got a few litres of red hanging about looking for a use

Bluemoon - 11/6/10 at 10:38 AM

Parifin is quite cheap; I would stick with that..

Dan

turbodisplay - 11/6/10 at 10:41 AM

I thought the dye does not damage engines, so should be ok cleaning.

Darren

fha772 - 11/6/10 at 11:05 AM

I use red all the time for cleaning things down, it works a treat.
I've never had a problem from using it.
It's a tip i got from my grandfather, we've been doing it for probibly 50 years now.

MikeRJ - 11/6/10 at 11:29 AM

Back when I worked for my grandfathers business (agricultural engineering services - referring to the equipment we worked on rather than the quality of work!) we always used red diesel in the parts washer. It works fine, but you and your overalls and clothes will absolutely reek of diesel after a heavy parts washing session.

big_wasa - 11/6/10 at 11:31 AM

Red will do fine but it stinks and so will you when you get covered in it

chandlers oil and gas is just past the prison .you can buy Kerosene (parafin) by the litre but its a dear way of doing it. Smells even more fruity

I get through 20,000 L a day and more in the winter

[Edited on 11/6/10 by big_wasa]

kipper - 11/6/10 at 12:02 PM

some-one on here was looking for a use for diesel petrol mix it sounds like an ideal use for it
Denis.
been there and done it

iank - 11/6/10 at 01:08 PM

Parafin is available in B&Q and garden centres. Used for greenhouse heaters.

britishtrident - 11/6/10 at 05:20 PM

Parrafin has either pink or blue dye in it anyway.

quinnj3 - 11/6/10 at 05:39 PM

If your house is heated by oil, just take a drop out of that. If not red diesel will do the trick.