Board logo

Flaring Engine Bay Sides: How do you keep the bonnet on?
BigMac - 20/6/11 at 03:48 PM

Hi All

Did some searching but to no avail.

I'm going to be flaring the side panels on my Westy, up to where the bay finishes. I was trying to work it out in my head but not really too sure how you'd do it, but of those of you that have done it, how do you fix/secure the bonnet on top of the flares to stop it flying off while driving?

Currently, I have catch style fasteners on either side of the panel that clip the bonnet on. With the sides flared out, the clips won't meet, meaning I need to rethink how the bonnet stays on... Locks? Dzus fasteners? No idea what would work best!

Thoughts welcome!

Thanks,
Ben.

bbwales - 20/6/11 at 03:52 PM

Hi,

You could use aero catches, they are what I have on my car and I am very happy with them.

Regards

Bob

jacko - 20/6/11 at 03:53 PM

Description
Description

This photo is out of DRC photo arcives
Jacko

[Edited on 20/6/11 by jacko]

DRC INDY 7 - 20/6/11 at 05:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Description
Description

This photo is out of DRC photo arcives
Jacko

[Edited on 20/6/11 by jacko]

I have a car just like that

Steve Hignett - 20/6/11 at 11:10 PM

Can go to the front/rear, or you can put the catches actually through the flared wings themselves.

Alternatively Ben, you could use the slightly more expensive, but much better looking Aerocatch

http://www.aerocatch.com/category_sublist.php?catid=157&colorid=1&procatid=158

edited for speeling

[Edited on 20/6/11 by Steve Hignett]

StrikerChris - 21/6/11 at 07:57 AM

I made my flaired sides shorter than the bonnet,so conventional clips could be used.

I don't have confidence in the sva proof rubber up and over clips in the pic tho,the bonnet starts to levatate when the speedo is showing 3 figures,so fitted zeus clips on top as an after thought.

[Edited on 21/6/11 by StrikerChris]

franky - 21/6/11 at 08:35 AM

I did the above, you can just make them out here....