Board logo

Wiriing Indicator Switch
orbital - 16/11/08 at 04:17 PM

Lo All,

Right I'm sat in me garage with my latptop hoping that one of you lovely people can help me out. I've removed my Sierra steering column switches and I'm just about to wire up the indicator on/off/on switch I've bought. the only problem being I'm quite retarded in the electrics department and I'm not sure what wire goes where. From the Steering column plug I have the following:

Switched +VE Supply (black)
RH Indicators (black/green)
Permanent +VE (red)
Flasher relay (black/red)
LH Indicators (black/white)
Flasher relay (black/white)

Then on my on/off/on switch I have three terminal numbered 1 to 3 (it's a PWS switch if that helps). So as I said earlier, err what goes where? becasue I haven't got the foggiest If I'm honest!!

Cheers

Dave

big_wasa - 16/11/08 at 04:27 PM

pic is how the sierra is done.

[Edited on 16/11/08 by big_wasa]

orbital - 16/11/08 at 04:37 PM

Cheers for that mate,

So looking at the diagram I'd have LH indicator to left terminal on the switch and RH indicator to right terminal on the switch and the flasher realy to the middle terminal? Sounds far too simple to me! But I'll have a dabble and see what happens. Hopefully nothing loom melting I hope!

Cheers

Dave

orbital - 16/11/08 at 05:38 PM

Hmm that didn't work

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers

Dave

omega 24 v6 - 16/11/08 at 06:02 PM

quote:

Hmm that didn't work Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Mmm sounds like it should have worked. On your switch there are three terminals yes?? It has three toggle positions yes??
If so the one of the terminals on the switch should be common to the other two depending on where the switch is at.
You could try touching the terminals together to see if the lights work just to be sure your problem does not lie elsewhere

ETA your flasher unit is connected isn't it and earthed??

[Edited on 16/11/08 by omega 24 v6]

orbital - 16/11/08 at 06:53 PM

Yes mate the switch has three positions (off being in the centre) and three terminals.

At the moment I still have the original Sierra switch gear attached. All I've done is removed the LH indicator wire, the RH indicator wire and the black/red flasher relay wire from the connector and attached them to switch as I said above. but nothing happens when I throw the switch either way. Should I have the other flasher wire connected to comething? the black/white one?

If I put the wires back into the orginal seirra connector evrything works fine and I can hear the relay switching fine.

Thanks for your help

Dave

[Edited on 11/16/2008 by orbital]

[Edited on 11/16/2008 by orbital]

orbital - 16/11/08 at 07:46 PM

Wahooo!! I've sussed it

I'd taken the wrong flasher wire. I'd used the black/red wire first (49) and it seems I should have used the other black/white one (49A).

Looking at the Haynes manual gave me a clue as the the column switch (item 61 in the manual) seems to have some sort of switching internally for the hazard switch. This makes me worry slightly as I have a Savage hazard switch to replace the column one and that looks even more confusing!!!!

Cheers

Dave

omega 24 v6 - 16/11/08 at 07:48 PM

OK the black red wire comes from the hazard switch. It is powered either by the ign or a battery voltage depending on the position of the hazard switch.
So you will need the hazard switch connected and the ign on to make it work also to make it fash you will need to reconnect the red/black to the flasher unit and connect the black/white from the flasher unit to the common terminal of the switch. Have you got autocad on your machine or a facility to look at dxf files?? I could send you a line diagram I have here.

ETA well done

[Edited on 16/11/08 by omega 24 v6]

orbital - 16/11/08 at 08:13 PM

I think I've got a viewer for DXF files knocking around mate, so by all means send away!! (and thanks a lot skipper!)

Cheers

Dave