Board logo

BUILD YOUR OWN CAR (1963)
Rod Ends - 8/8/23 at 03:49 PM

Love the locost engine hoist

Prof_Cook - 8/8/23 at 04:58 PM

Many thanks for posting - surprised the lifters weren't more nervous lifting the engine over that immaculate bodywork!

JAG - 9/8/23 at 09:33 AM

What a great video! The beginnings of the British Kitcar industry!

Thanks for posting.

All to save the cost of the VAT - a great little dodge that we are thankfull for

My Dad used to talk about how he and his mates used to build cars on a Ford chassis with an 1172cc engine back in the 1950's. I can't recall which standard production car they used to buy to get the chassis but his photographs show a finished car that looks very like the car in that Pathe video. Kind-of a smaller, lighter E-Type looking car.

[Edited on 9/8/23 by JAG]

Mr Whippy - 9/8/23 at 11:52 AM

Those will be based the later 50's Anglia's and Prefects, those mechanics are much too modern compared to my car

JAG - 9/8/23 at 01:39 PM

Mr Whippy has it about right. There are some interesting sites out there describing the cars built around the Ford Ladder chassis and 1172cc side valve engine and a mighty 30bhp

Dad's pictures show something like the cars on this page: www.fordspecials.co.uk

[Edited on 9/8/23 by JAG]

pewe - 11/8/23 at 02:49 PM

More likely E93A's which, because of its separate chassis, spawned lots of glass-fibre specials.
100E's were a unitary body.
I had mates who would run E93A's until the engine blew, then simply take a spare engine out of the boot a the roadside and swap them over.