Board logo

NooB
loggyboy - 2/6/08 at 12:24 PM

Hello!

Ive joined up as im looking to undertake a Kit car project within the next year or so as im fed up with being beaten by them at events. So im just getting an idea of what my options are.

Current faves are an Indy, or ive recently seen pics of the Snake, which arse end i like! The car will be for road and minor competion use (Autosolos, trackdays etc). Im likely to fit a car engine as im a 'Torque man' (lol), its also likely to vauxhall, either a redtop or a mildly tuned 'baby valver', as im also a vauxhall man.

Dave

phoenix70 - 2/6/08 at 12:34 PM

The Indy is a good car, although there is a few very good makes out there, so it is worth doing a little research before picking. The red top shouldn't cause you any problem as I'm sure that it has been done before.

Oh yeh, and welcome to the madhouse

[Edited on 2/6/08 by phoenix70]

coozer - 2/6/08 at 12:37 PM

Welcome to the nut house. I would recommend MNR, obviously as i have one but not only that i found it to have the leading edge when i choose my kit

They do a nice MX5 single donor kit now or as I have fitted a zetec and another member has a Rover V8 in one you should be able to get a red top in OK.

I'm currently cobbling a Rover turbo engine and Toyota Supra box together for a turbo power transplant over the winter.

Beware of the BEC boys trying to persuade you otherwise!

loggyboy - 2/6/08 at 12:51 PM

Dont worry, id never go bike. (unless i fit bike carbs to the car lump! lol)

Forgot to say budget is s HUGE issue, so everything i can do/fabricate myself i will do, and anything i can beg/borrow/scavenge will be the way il have to go!

My last 'project' (if you can call it that) cost me under £1000 and led to 200bhp/tonne but was based around a car, this time i want close to 400!

Mole - 2/6/08 at 01:06 PM

Locost is only £250 apparently (I must have done something wrong though as I've spend nearly ten times that already)

loggyboy - 2/6/08 at 03:36 PM

lol, yeah my target is a little more realistic than £250.
However £2500 would be nice!

Whats the principal behind the £250 budget withregards to chassis - complete fabrication yourself? Id like to try that, but dont think id trust my my welding (especialy with the 90amp mig i have!)

[Edited on 2/6/08 by loggyboy]

Mole - 2/6/08 at 03:50 PM

I made my own chassis and £2500 would have been realistic if I'd been more frugal.

Hellfire - 2/6/08 at 07:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Dont worry, id never go bike. (unless i fit bike carbs to the car lump! lol)

Forgot to say budget is s HUGE issue, so everything i can do/fabricate myself i will do, and anything i can beg/borrow/scavenge will be the way il have to go!

My last 'project' (if you can call it that) cost me under £1000 and led to 200bhp/tonne but was based around a car, this time i want close to 400!

Welcome to the madhouse. Looks like you've never been for a ride in a BEC then.......

Seriously, if you're on a budget and looking for a power to weight ratio of about 400bhp/tonne, you'd be daft not to consider a BEC.

Phil

keith - 2/6/08 at 09:05 PM

hi phill and so say all of us

[Edited on 2/6/08 by keith]

loggyboy - 2/6/08 at 09:59 PM

(close to) 400/tonne should be easy enough, the redtop i have at the moment should give around 310 mark (assuming a 550kg car), and thats not got anything bar a exhaust and filter!

eccsmk - 2/6/08 at 10:05 PM

good evening
are those xe engines not 145/150 bhp standard??
im not goin to mention anything more about engines

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

loggyboy - 2/6/08 at 10:35 PM

standard is about 150 yes, but mine showed 143 at wheels on Janspeeds R/R.

But doesnt really matter as why more than likely keep the engine in the current car and rebuild a new one for the Kit. For the simple matter of weight im edging to towards a 1.6 16v on TBs.