Board logo

Basic gasket question
Benzine - 19/6/09 at 11:22 AM

When fitting a new inlet manifold gasket, do you use some kind of liquid gasket alongside the actual gasket? Or just as it is? I have some hylomar aerosol, just wondering if it's worth using it alongside for extra air-tightness

Same question too for exhaust manifold.

Mr Whippy - 19/6/09 at 11:29 AM

you can use a little smear of this on the inlet gasket (both faces), especially if its not a thick gasket

as for the exhaust, personally I'd not use anything as its usually sealed by metal edging being compressed and any paste tends to expand unpredictably and could restrict the gas flow. Use that kind of paste on exhaust joints only.

[Edited on 19/6/09 by Mr Whippy]

flak monkey - 19/6/09 at 11:56 AM

I never use any gasket jointing compound other than on sump gaskets.

If the faces of the manifold and head are flat then you shouldnt need anything more than a gasket.

David

Dingz - 19/6/09 at 12:21 PM

I usually just use a smear of grease, helps hold them in place too.

adithorp - 19/6/09 at 12:28 PM

I wouldn't, except just a smear (not enough to squeeze out) of hylomar around any waterways.

adrian

02GF74 - 19/6/09 at 12:38 PM

nope - you souldn't need to.

for sump gasket it sometimes helps to put a bit to help hkeep it in place.

I do use it for water pumps but not for oil, air or exhasuit gas.

In fact, overdoing it can be gadas the sealant gets sueezed out, break off and block oil/water waqys.

In the past I've picked out chunks of it from the radiator filler!!! (ot my doing).

Maradona - 19/6/09 at 02:25 PM

In the manyfolf and axaust personaly I prefer don t use anything

cheers

tomprescott - 19/6/09 at 06:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dingz
I usually just use a smear of grease, helps hold them in place too.

Ditto

Benzine - 19/6/09 at 07:08 PM

thanks for the replies ^_^

jpindy3 - 19/6/09 at 08:05 PM

mate use gasket seller the blue stuff the best,

if you dont and you manifold ant flat like some are you will end up filling 2 3 cyl up with water.

trust its happend to me,also that means new oil

rusty nuts - 21/6/09 at 03:42 PM

I have never known any manufacturer to use any sealant on a manifold gasket. If the manifold isn't flat you may have problems but you would be better off sorting out the distortion anyhow.