Board logo

Type 9 gear ratios and part numbers
rally205 - 26/3/10 at 10:05 PM

Hi,

I have been looking for ages and can't find the info I need. Does anyone have a list of type 9 gearbox part numbers along with which ratios they contain and which model/vehicle they were fitted to?

I know the 2.8 capri gearbox had the better ratios but i believe there were also some 4 cyl sierras with the same ratios?

Thanks
Marcus

tootall - 26/3/10 at 11:54 PM

not hundred percent sure but i was always led to belive all type 9 boxes were all same ratio
just the diff ratio they changed to alter gearing

omega 24 v6 - 27/3/10 at 08:42 AM

1st 3.65
2nd 1.97
3rd 1.37
4th 1
(5th) 0.82

This is for a std type9 and not a V6 ( 2.8)
it came from the speed calculator spreadsheet that can be found somewhere on here. The V6 has alonger 1st ratio IIRC that is the only difference I think.

[Edited on 27/3/10 by omega 24 v6]

rally205 - 27/3/10 at 09:15 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I have looked at the spreadsheet and there are 2 different sierra type 9 boxes on there.
The problem with a V6 one is that it has a long shaft and a different bellhousing. Wouldn't this push the gearstick back further or am I wrong?

Thanks

MikeRJ - 27/3/10 at 12:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rally205
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I have looked at the spreadsheet and there are 2 different sierra type 9 boxes on there.
The problem with a V6 one is that it has a long shaft and a different bellhousing. Wouldn't this push the gearstick back further or am I wrong?

Thanks

It wouldn't fit, the bell housing for the V6 engines is different to the 4 pots AFAIK.

You can use a spacer like Caterham did to move the box back, which will move the gear lever back a bit.

You can also cut down the input shaft of long shaft box to make it fit a 4 pot engine though, but you will need to re-make the spigot bearing surface on the end.

rally205 - 27/3/10 at 02:00 PM

Oh... I see. Thanks for that. Looks like I will have some machining to do then.