Board logo

I hate Cars!! HELP
Dopdog - 26/7/10 at 08:18 PM

Just converted my striker from 16v to 20v and I cannot get it to start

I have a spark and fuel, all it does is turn over but not even a splutter nothing it just turns over like no leads are connected and does not catch.

any ideas?

coozer - 26/7/10 at 08:19 PM

Check all the basics, too much to think about there...

Killer - 26/7/10 at 08:19 PM

Incorrect timing??

r1_pete - 26/7/10 at 08:21 PM

Leads on the wrong plugs??

Mr G - 26/7/10 at 08:28 PM

As above might be the timing but you would expect to hear a bang or pop in the process. How strong is the spark when you check it? Can you smell fuel after trying to turn it over?

austin man - 26/7/10 at 09:08 PM

is the ecu correct for the engine ?? you mention changing the engine but not ecu

Dopdog - 26/7/10 at 10:08 PM

The car is running an omex 600 ecu, I have just installed the raw map and it is the wasted spark version so I do have a good spark at the plugs? Also I can look down the throttle body and see the fuel being injected in.

Paul TigerB6 - 26/7/10 at 10:19 PM

Suggests you have no spark at all. Have you tried a plug out of the engine against the block to look for a spark yourself??

Dopdog - 27/7/10 at 06:31 AM

Yeah removed plugs 1 and 3 and can see the spark? its still dead

vinny1275 - 27/7/10 at 08:00 AM

don't know the Omex stuff that well, does it tell you if you're getting any data from the crank position sensor?

Have you got a timing light to check that it is firing the right cylinder at the right time?

Try some ez-start down the inlet manifold - if it fires, then the map prob isn't supplying enough fuel - an engine will start when it's rich but not when it's too lean - ez-start is a good way of checking for this....

HTH

Vince

bartonp - 27/7/10 at 08:19 AM

Check it's firing on no.1 plug with no.1 piston at/near TDC with all no.1 valves closed as a first approximation to timing - it should at least fire if you have this & the other plug leads on right....

Dopdog - 27/7/10 at 04:17 PM

Thanks all, will try suggestions and get back to you

Dopdog - 28/7/10 at 05:12 PM

Hi Can anyone confirm the wire colours from the omex loom to the idle valve. I have the raw diagram but the omex manual uses another wire?

Dopdog - 28/7/10 at 09:28 PM

its alive had a crossed wire on the ignition module changed this then it kicked into life.