Board logo

xr4x4 2.9 holding back
tootall - 9/12/10 at 09:23 PM

hi ive just got this xr4x4 and she is holding back well least i think she is

i have just put new plugs and leads on it and checked cap and arm and i have cleaned all the black death off the valve gear and rebult it and re set all the tappets it idles fine till warm then gets a little rough hunting etc when u drive it it seems to pull in first and second not that well but it pulls then 3rd it just holds back and dont seem to want to rev past 3 k same in all other gears !!!!

Any idears or sugestions its a 2.9 with lamber sensors and map sensor and dosent have airflow meaters ??????

a friend said it could be coil ??
i have thought it could be a blocked cat as it has the 2 down pipes that go in to 1 then into 2 inline cats then back into 2 pipes befor the rear beam then join back into 1 to go into back box !!

Any healp would be good

Mr G - 9/12/10 at 09:28 PM

Must be the time of year

RichardK - 9/12/10 at 09:31 PM

fuel filter blocked, vac advance tube split (timing light on it a rev to see if it advances, coil/ht leads/rotor arm breaking down under load.

Just a couple of things to get you going.

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 9/12/10 by RichardK]

marcjagman - 9/12/10 at 09:34 PM

Mine doesn't have cats though, thank god.

tootall - 9/12/10 at 10:07 PM

Hahahahaaha mine wont have cats tomoro ! out with the pipe bender and welder and they will be gone

yer the non cat modle has twin air flow meaters too so no lamber s

the cap and arm look ok new leads and plugs going to check timing in morning and change coil and check some pipes !!

might check engine coolent temp sensor too mi friend carnt get round till sat with the diagnostic computer he reakons he can read the lambers and temp sensors etc see if there doing what they should

adithorp - 9/12/10 at 11:32 PM

Most common cause of "hunting" was crap in the idle valve and throttle butterfly. Clean them with carb cleaner. Won't make it hold back though. They also used to hold back if the viscous fan was buggered; Had a massive effect on power. Could also be the tappets too tight.

tootall - 10/12/10 at 01:13 AM

some one else said tappets too tight !!!! mmmmmmmmmmmmm

viscos fan was first thing to come off lol

icv was off other day to clean but it was clean as a wistle

mcerd1 - 10/12/10 at 08:56 AM

is it getting a decent spark ?

that was the biggest problem on mine, although mine would rev ok most of the time - it just wouldn't start (ask mango he's got it now...)
back when I was still planning to use it I gave some serious thought to bike cabs and MJ, there are too many things that can go wrong on these modern cars

stevec - 10/12/10 at 01:51 PM

I had a Fuel pressure regulator fail on a 2.9 a few years back, had holding back symtoms.
Have you checked fuel pressure?
Steve

rusty nuts - 10/12/10 at 08:00 PM

Tight tappets will cause all sorts of running problems! Are you sure they are correctly set???

tootall - 10/12/10 at 11:36 PM

had car on lift today and had a poke about and it has 2 in line cats first cat rattled like hell when u hit it with hand so i cut a flap out both cats . First one had broken up and there was two bits jammed in the pipe between the cats and a bit side ways on not been out in it yet as only finished welding the cats back together after smashing them out found a whole in one of centre boxes so welded that up found some wholes on sill backs and rear floor so got a busy weekend for mot monday