Board logo

How to terminate universal clutch cable?
Barkalarr - 6/2/14 at 05:35 PM

I've got a universal clutch cable because it's a bit longer than the sierra one I had.
I've got the Indy floor mounted pedals and a type 9. At the moment, the universal cable goes round the Zetec engine mount.

Question is - what's the best way to terminate the "other" end of the cable?

The end inside the car has a nipple secured to it which came with the cable already attached. The kit I have doesn't have a nipple or any other way to terminate it, so I need to get something which is able to take the pressure.

Andybarbet - 6/2/14 at 08:38 PM

Not sure if this is suitable but its worth a look.

Ebay item number 380830416303

Barkalarr - 6/2/14 at 08:59 PM

Thanks - I've just bought one (I couldn't find that anywhere) but I don't think it's going to be man-enough.

Any other ideas ?

Andybarbet - 6/2/14 at 10:24 PM

I used one on my vespa rear brake cable but like you say, possibly not man enough for the clutch cable on a car.

Interested in any replies as I need to do the same thing when I get further on in my build.

dave_424 - 6/2/14 at 10:36 PM

Used this part for a clutch cable for my ZX9, works fine if done up murder tight. If I were you I would put that item on, then with a blow torch heat it up and silver solder/solder it on also.

Dave

CosKev3 - 7/2/14 at 09:14 AM

I have seen people mention putting a blob of weld in the end of these.

I think the important thing to do with these universal cables is make sure you have a 'stop' on your pedal,set so once the clutch is fully in you don't get any further travel to stretch/pull the cable apart.

Sloan85 - 7/2/14 at 11:36 AM

I used one of those solderless nipples tightened up as tight as possible and the I silver soldered it to be sure it was secure. I frayed the end first to give more area for the solder to adhere to. No problems yet.

My build diary

[Edited on 7/2/14 by Sloan85]

redturner - 8/2/14 at 06:49 PM

If you have a local wire rope agent near you he will be able to 'crimp' an end on for you using hydraulic pressure.It will never move.....Speedograph Richfield in Nottingham did me a couple.....

[Edited on 8/2/14 by redturner]