Board logo

Rocker cover..how hot?
tegwin - 17/9/07 at 10:07 PM

Having just moved the oil filler on my Pinto rocker cover I need to paint it to keep it looking shiny...

How hot does the cover get? Can I just paint it with normal acrylic spray paint or do I need a VHT paint?

What do people paint the inside with (if anything)?....Im worried about putting the normal paint inside incase it contaminates the oil or something...

h2o - 17/9/07 at 10:20 PM

I would'nt paint the inside, I'm planning on giving it the once over with the wire brush on the drill to get the carbon off, then I think the spray from the Oil spray bar should be enough to keep it clean. If its going to be along time before you start the engine up again, then perhaps a wipe over with an oily rag before you refit the Rocker cover.

thomas4age - 17/9/07 at 10:21 PM

nah VHT is probably not required, this was done with normal Motip spray can and has been on for over 2000km now, no problem. VHT is normaly only used on exhausts and brake calipers and maybe the odd engine block.

4age 20v detail
4age 20v detail

grtz Thomas

Avoneer - 17/9/07 at 10:24 PM

I used plastikote enamel paint, couple of quid from B&Q and it was fine so did the block & brakes as well (on the Avon).

Comes in little baby food sized jars or small spray cans and comes in a million colours including chrome.

Pat...

David Jenkins - 18/9/07 at 06:59 AM

Plastikote worked OK for me as well.

DarrenW - 18/9/07 at 08:09 AM

Normal car paint worked for me. I tried the chrome spray and it discoloured. Now std satin black and its great.

nick205 - 18/9/07 at 08:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer
I used plastikote enamel paint, couple of quid from B&Q and it was fine so did the block & brakes as well (on the Avon).

Comes in little baby food sized jars or small spray cans and comes in a million colours including chrome.

Pat...

Plastikote gets my vote as well - gives avery durable finish.

David Jenkins - 18/9/07 at 09:40 AM

And to answer the original question fully - the cover does get quite warm, but you should still be able to rest your hand on it. Well within the temp range of most spray paints, but expect a stink when you first run the car after painting, as all of the remaining solvents are cooked off!

pajsh - 18/9/07 at 10:31 AM

Bother (or other word beginning with B).

Wish I'd asked the same question. I bought VHT paint at great expense from Halfrauds and it's like painting with creme cheese. Couldn't get a decent finish.

Might strip it all off now and start again.

Also did the sump but not too bothered about that as no-one will really see it.

Lesson is......if in doubt ask!