Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: X-Box, PlayStation or Wii.
Rosco

posted on 11/11/08 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
X-Box, PlayStation or Wii.

I've two boys, 8 and 10, who's Granny has offered to buy a games console for this Christmas.

I've no idea which is best or even how much they cost but thought there may be some expertise on here, especially as my only requirement is a good car racing game.

Any views?

trogdor

posted on 11/11/08 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
I have just tried a Wii for the first time and it is amazing! would deffo recommend it. So much fun and it does tire you out!

Am not sure on the driving game but mario kart is supposed to be good

eddie99

posted on 11/11/08 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Playstation 3 has got some real good driving games like colin macrae, f1, ferrari challenge and more

Im not sure about the Wii, havent played it but from my view playstation > xbox

Ed

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MkIndy7

posted on 11/11/08 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
If you can stand them taking up the living room telly rather than being shut away in their rooms.. here's another vote for the Wii

The games may well be better suited to their age group aswell, so there not too complicated or violent.

The Wii corrects 1 of the major gripes with modern video games, rather than being shut in a room bashing away at buttons being unsociable (possibly playing violent or undesireable games) it encourages fun family gaming that everybody can enjoy.

P.s Most of the cheaper games i've tried can be a bit rubbish, your better off sticking to the more expencive glossy branded/popular games.

Agriv8

posted on 11/11/08 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Sad to say I am a Wii adict I am sure it would not meet 'a serious gamer's' requirements, but if you whant to have a laugh especially if you have a familly I would recomend it.

rayman and the raving rabits absoloute brill ( the first one )

REgards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

stevebubs

posted on 11/11/08 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Get the kids a Wii and one of the other 2 for yourself to play your car game...
omega0684

posted on 11/11/08 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
i have played all three and would say that i would expel the 360 straight away, the wii is good fun but the novalty wares off pretty quickly. i have a ps3 and have done for a while. they games are getting cheaper every week and they are just releasing better games all the time, it may be a little more expensive but you also get a blue ray player, online gaming and media centre.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rob WM

posted on 11/11/08 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
I have tried all three and my vote would go with the Wii. Sad to say that the best driving games are defo on the PS3 however the Wii is a brilliant social gaming system. Drunk tennis and as above Rabbid is very amusing. The Xbox just doesn't have the games. My only caution would be that things that are loose may well take a rather quick trip accross the room if they are not moved first!

Mario Kart is supposed to be very good but I have not managed to play on it yet.

Howlor

posted on 11/11/08 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Wii proper family fun.
Jumpy Guy

posted on 11/11/08 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
i would say Wii for kids

But if you fancy any online gaming, then Xbox is fantastic

Easy to use online, huge online community

you can download films, demo games etc too

So, if you already have fast broadband, its a great option

phoenix70

posted on 11/11/08 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
As others have said, for the ages of the kids the Wii is the perfect console. But the XBOX rules the online gaming world atm.

Cheers

Scott

[Edited on 11/11/08 by phoenix70]

UncleFista

posted on 11/11/08 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phoenix70
But the XBOX rules the online gaming world atm.

Cheers

Scott

Does it b*****, it comes a pathetic second to PC gaming

I don't understand all these console players online, why play on a console when a PC plays more, better and cheaper games ?

I've been playing online since Quakeworld (10 years or so), there's nothing even close to playing online on a PC

But as a second choice, the XboX is as close as your going to get to the best online experience without sitting at a PC

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Danozeman

posted on 11/11/08 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
The Wii is the best choice for kids. Me and the missus have bought one for ourselves for christmas

PS3's are good for the racing games etc but too much money. Wiis are far more fun.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

orbital

posted on 11/11/08 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
I have an 8 year old boy and a 5 year girl and also have (had) all the consoles. I say had as I've sold my PS3 as I got fed up waiting for decent games to come out for it and ones that were out were sub par conversions of 360 games.

So now I’m down to my Wii and 360 and original Xbox.

The Wii is just untouchable for younger gamer’s period. The whole console is perfect for them. Big chunky menus, the controllers and the huge range of games from 3+ all aimed at the younger gamer. It really is an exercise is product placement! Saying that, there’s nothing funnier than a game of tennis or boxing when you have a few mates round, but you knew that anyway.

As good as the Wii is my 8 year old boy much prefers the 360 as the games on there are more to his liking, plus and this is a big plus in favour of the Xbox is the xbox live side of things. All of his friends from school are on there, along with his cousins, even his granddad has a 360 and he talks to all of them all of the time!! There’s nothing to touch Xbox live and after the new update on the 14th of this month it’s only going to get better. I went to the extent of getting a second 360 for my study so me and my son can go online and play Halo 3 together and Forza 2 etc etc

A lot of people worry about the failure rate of the 360 and rightly so, as it’s was much higher than any other console. But that was with the earlier models. The newer models with the hdmi port have the Falcon chipset which has fixed the “ring of death” failures and the console now has the same failure rate as any of the others out there.

I really did like the PS3. It’s a lovely piece of kit and the blu ray player is a bonus. But as I said at the beginning, it didn’t have anything in the way of unique games for it and most were just conversions of 360 games that didn’t play as well or look as good as the original 360 ones. This was and I think still is down to the poor development tools available for the PS3 and the difficulty the software houses have using them. The only game I’ve seen that would make me even consider a PS3 again is Little Big Planet that has just been released. But then I look at Fable2, Gears of War 2, Halo Recon, Halo Wars, Pure etc etc on the 360 and I’d never have time to play it anyway. In conclusion For young kids I’d go with the Wii, but to be honest they are going to be pestering you for a 360 in a year anyway so just get one and save yourself the hassle

PC’s are good for Linux and that’s about it. I was gaming on them when 2400 baud modems were considered cutting edge. I used to look forward to upgrading every year so I could play the latest games, but as I got older I realised what a mug I was and knocked it on the head. Especially when a top of the range graphics cards are now topping £500+! No thanks! You can get a 360 for £99 pounds now and the yes the graphics aren’t going to be the same as a £1000+ top end games PC, but it isn’t far off. It’s also an accepted that PC games are becoming less and less profitable for the developers. Just as video games are about to overtake CD and DVD’s in the amount of money spent on them some of the software houses are pulling out developing games on the PC as they can’t make any money off the format. All the development budgets are going into 360, PS3 and Wii titles as that's where the money is made. Sad, but true.

Cheers

Dave

[Edited on 11/11/2008 by orbital]

bimbleuk

posted on 11/11/08 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for a Wii as the whole family can more easily join in which has got to be a good thing. I know what a anti-social geek I can be when playing on my own PC!

Young kids don't care about the tech specs of the different consoles and which looks better blah blah blah ... they play the most fun game and even better if their mates can join in.

Warning you'll very likely want up to 4 controllers! and invest in the re-chargeable base stations for the controllers as they go through batteries rather quickly otherwise. These small points can bump up the cost of the Wii as they'll get addicted.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.