Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: making throttle cables
blakep82

posted on 12/9/09 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
making throttle cables

got all the bits in to make a throttle cable. i'm using 6mm solderless nipples, and i've got the cable adjusters and stuff.

when i measure up the cable to put the nipple on, should i start with the adjuster at the middle of its range or at its shortest? i'm going to have to cut the cable to fit to the carbs, so i don't want to do it wrong and end up with a cable too short to put on the car and ruin it

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

cd.thomson

posted on 12/9/09 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
would you mind creating a picture diary of this blake so I can see how you do it?

Craig

02GF74

posted on 12/9/09 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
what is this solderless nippel you talk about?

I made my own brass nipple with grub screw so the length of cable was not so critical.

... but to answer your question, if the pedal and carbs are in place, then you can route the cable and put adjuster so it is 3/4 or more wound in - the cable a bit will "streatch" as it settles.

blakep82

posted on 12/9/09 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
would you mind creating a picture diary of this blake so I can see how you do it?

yeah i'd mind as i just f***** it right up
if it was working i would but its a complete mess now lol

change of plan then, where can i buy a cable with 6mm solder nipple on one end? 2mm cable diameter

[Edited on 12/9/09 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

02GF74

posted on 12/9/09 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
halfords - bike brake cable?

blakep82

posted on 12/9/09 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
hmm, i'll have a look tomorrow perhaps.
i went to a independant bike shop a few weeks back, and they only had them 8mm i think. might have a go at butchering the cable that came with the carbs. got nothing to lose i guess...

i think i'm more at the stage with this car i'd rather buy custom parts fully made rather than try and do it myself

Andy B

posted on 12/9/09 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
To make life easy in the paddock I had a load of inner cables made up with a 6mm soldered nipple already fitted, I also ordered up 50 m of teflon lined outer cable and the 6mm threaded adjusters and end caps.
So all you have to do is spec the length of your outer cable, the inner with nipple is 3m which can be cut back and then you just thead the adjuster, outer and other adjuster, cut to length and terminate at pedal end.
Off the top of my head £15 plus vat and carriage.
Regards
Andy

[Edited on 12/9/09 by Andy B]

[Edited on 12/9/09 by Andy B]

blakep82

posted on 12/9/09 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
excellent, thanks andy. can you remember where you got them from?
you haven't got any inner cable with 6mm nipple soldered on i could buy have you?

[Edited on 12/9/09 by blakep82]

Andy B

posted on 12/9/09 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I buy it all in in bulk because of the volume we get through but if you want to give me an outer length I will make one up and send it out for you, all you need to do is terminate at pedal - tip here we buy those electrical joining strips, cut out the brass terminals, loop the inner through a hole in the pedal and clamp off with the terminal piece.
Just give me a delivery addy and a contact number and I will sort it for you
regards
Andy

Humbug

posted on 12/9/09 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
halfords - bike brake cable?

That's what I used - found one with the right nipple on one end for the throttle body, threaded the other end through a hole drilled in the top of the throttle pedal and clamped off with the screwy thing from an electrical connector.

blakep82

posted on 12/9/09 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy B
Hi
I buy it all in in bulk because of the volume we get through but if you want to give me an outer length I will make one up and send it out for you, all you need to do is terminate at pedal - tip here we buy those electrical joining strips, cut out the brass terminals, loop the inner through a hole in the pedal and clamp off with the terminal piece.
Just give me a delivery addy and a contact number and I will sort it for you
regards
Andy

top man! u2u 2u

norm007

posted on 13/9/09 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Venhill do a fantastic throttle cable kit. It comes with several soldered nipples, adjusters and everything else needed to produce factory looking cables.

They also do a very good clutch cable kit.

I have used these several times when converting 3x bikes to streetfighters and also on my Quantum Extreme.

Something about this, so very wrong.....I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn`t like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.