Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rolling road... Concerns
Dangle_kt

posted on 29/9/09 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Rolling road... Concerns

Got my car booked in at a rolling road place, old guy there seemed sound yesterday, called up today to find out he go on dropping my emissions from 1400ppm to the target of 1200, which should be a peice of pish. The car starts from cold with no choke so is running rich, so move he needles and job should be a gooden...

Just got off the phone with him being a bit arsy asking if I knew if the carbs had been jetted. Well I don't know, but I'd have thought an old bloke who has worked on a rolling road for years might have a rough idea!

Gets me a bit nervous that I'm gonna get charged and it still not be right. I hate being suspicous of people doing work, but I get a funny feeling.

Not sure why I posted this up, guess I just wanted to say it, as I'm suret he mrs wouldn't be interested!

I hope I'm wrong and it's not the classic sucking of teeth when a new boy asks for work to be done at a different garage to usual!

t16turbotone

posted on 29/9/09 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
mmmhh...which RR is it?
Dangle_kt

posted on 29/9/09 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
I'll post up if it all goes badly... I honestly didn't see it as a big job to get such a small reduction.nhopefully they won't use it as a chance to charge 6 hours work for 20 mins adjustment!
BenB

posted on 29/9/09 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't it done at a fast idle? IE it doesn't really need re-jetting (that's more to do with higher RPM running). Just needs a tweek on the idle. Might be talking BS, I just colortuned mine and it sailed through....
Dangle_kt

posted on 29/9/09 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
3k rpm, and then again at normal idle. Not sure if th mains kick in by 3k...
mad-butcher

posted on 29/9/09 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
What type airfilter and what type bonnet, only asking cos if std airbox and MK style bonnet you might be able to borrow a set of running carbs

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 29/9/09 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
he might be struggling to get the emissions down if the jets are too large for the engine, which if it starts with no choke they might be.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 29/9/09 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
I'm no expert with bike carbs but I fail to see why it needs a rolling road to set it up to pass a fast idle test.
In the guys defence, it does seem an obvious question to ask, whether it's had the jets changed, before he starts playing with it.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

quinnj3

posted on 29/9/09 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
I'm the same, I'm usually suspicious of other peoples work cause when you are in a trade you really see some cowboys.

In this case I think you are over reacting a little because he will need to know what mods have been done in order to understand the fueling setup and get the best out of the engine.

hope this helps

cd.thomson

posted on 29/9/09 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quinnj3
I'm the same, I'm usually suspicious of other peoples work cause when you are in a trade you really see some cowboys.

In this case I think you are over reacting a little because he will need to know what mods have been done in order to understand the fueling setup and get the best out of the engine.

hope this helps

I think thats the point, Dangle only wants him to lean out the mixture which he should be able to do in less than an hour by just adjusting the idle mixture screws..

The worry is that he's not taking you for a ride, but he just can't get the mixture lean enough, but if it's all standard I can't see that being the case.

Craig

Dangle_kt

posted on 29/9/09 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
I guess only time will tell, but with ony a few days till my restest I don't have time. Nor do I have the funds to hope they get it right.

Maybe I was a touch unfair, but only as I was under the impression, (which others have repeated above) that it would be an easy adjustment and very quick. If he lines me up for a £300 pound bill then I'll have been screwed over.

Storm in a tea cup, Ill keep my gob shut and see what happens. Sorry for voicing my concerns but for the record it's been good to read the comments about somthing I know very little.

afj

posted on 29/9/09 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Just an indication into price i had mine set up for the sva test at BSD who charged me £100 but mine is an injection motor (2003 R1) and that inclueded a new set of spark plugs surplyed and fitted and a sva map for the power commander, well worth it sailed through SVA

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

RichardK

posted on 29/9/09 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
he might be struggling to get the emissions down if the jets are too large for the engine, which if it starts with no choke they might be.

Exactly what I was thinking Mr Whipster

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

will121

posted on 29/9/09 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quinnj3

hope this helps

as above, i understand where you are coming from, its ok to say you only want the emissions reduced to get through the SVA, but if a responsible RR operator would think they would also be concerned with its overall running, its ok adjusting it to get through the SVA emmisions which i would have thought would only be idle air screw's adjustment and may be nedles. But what happens if the mains are to small and it leans off badly when flat out and holes a piston (bit dramatic i know) but it would then be easy to blame the rolling road for screwing up your engine as they were the last to adjust it. may be you just need to explain what you want and acccept it may not be right at top end and accept responcibility,
also to get jetted properly may cost 3 hours £150+ as its lots more work with 4 carbs to adjust/change jets than tweek it with a lap top

Dangle_kt

posted on 29/9/09 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Will, I did make it very clear to the guy I don't care how it runs, as long as it passes. I'm happy to pay £150.
stevebubs

posted on 29/9/09 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
I'd second Will's sentiments on this one.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.