Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec piston to valve clearance???
norm007

posted on 18/11/09 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec piston to valve clearance???

Hi.
I am building a 2.0 silvertop Zetec engine with Piper 285 cams and a flowed head.

I have dropped my head off to have it skimmed, but I forgot to check piston to valve clearance 1st.
I have asked for a 30thou/0.75 skim to give me 10.3 - 1 ratio.

My question is, does anybody know if I will have valve/piston contact at 30thou/0.75mm???

Thank you in advance

Something about this, so very wrong.....I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn`t like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

will121

posted on 18/11/09 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
the 285 cam has quite a lot of lift, but not seen anywhere requirement for piston mods, a call to Piper or Burton power might be an idea to confirm. did you caculate CR as from the link below seems to indicate 20" skim give increase of CR to 10.6/1. b but not tested it myself to check.

C/R calc link

Chippy

posted on 18/11/09 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Do a dry build of the engine, putting some plastacine, (sp) on top of the pistons in the area of the valves, turn the engine over, take of the head and measure the thickness of the plastacine. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

MikeRJ

posted on 18/11/09 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
Do a dry build of the engine, putting some plastacine, (sp) on top of the pistons in the area of the valves, turn the engine over, take of the head and measure the thickness of the plastacine. HTH Ray

Hydraulic lifters make this a bit tricky, you really need to replace them with solid lifters to make this measurement accurately.

norm007

posted on 18/11/09 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
did you caculate CR as from the link below seems to indicate 20" skim give increase of CR to 10.6/1. b but not tested it myself to check.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the advice/link.

I have just gone through my calculations again and you are right.
I have just rung machine shop to advise a 20thou skim instead of 30thou.

Something about this, so very wrong.....I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn`t like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

will121

posted on 18/11/09 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by norm007

Thanks for the advice/link.

I have just gone through my calculations again and you are right.
I have just rung machine shop to advise a 20thou skim instead of 30thou.

20thou is what im going for, is it a profesional ported head, as im doing the DIY route, have you got any pictures of your ports?

[Edited on 18/11/09 by will121]

Dusty

posted on 18/11/09 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I did 20 thou skim and used piper 285 cams. Had to machine slots for the cam lobes beside the followers as their peaks hit the head casting. Piper said this was not common but had been reported before. No problems with valve piston clearance.
norm007

posted on 20/11/09 at 03:06 AM Reply With Quote
20thou is what im going for, is it a profesional ported head, as im doing the DIY route, have you got any pictures of your ports?---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mine is also a DIY job. When I get the head back I will post some photo`s

[Edited on 18/11/09 by will121]

will121

posted on 23/11/09 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
pictures of mine

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.