Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Motoscope rolling road & 2.0 Zetec
norm007

posted on 22/6/10 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Motoscope rolling road & 2.0 Zetec

Had my Quantum Extreme on motoscopes rolling road recently.

Just wanted to shout about Richards spot on service/results.

Its a 2.0 Silver top with Piper 285 cams, GSXR750 throttle bodies, home flowed head(more like a clean `n` polish), head skimmed to give 10.5-1 comp`, Arp big end and fly wheel bolts, Omex 500 series ECU with limiter set @ 7200 revs, it gave a max 192 bhp & 146ftlbs torque 6900.

Unfortunately the torque curve was all to pot, it resembled a plane flying through volcanic ash, so with a further tweak on rolling road we settled on 188.3bhp @ 7192rpm & a nice flat torque curve of150ftlbs @5450rpm.

It now pulls like a train and is a pleasure to drive.

Something about this, so very wrong.....I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn`t like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

coozer

posted on 22/6/10 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds good, is that Motoscope in Darlo/Teeside somewhere? And, if you don't mind me asking.. how much did it cost?

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

norm007

posted on 22/6/10 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds good, is that Motoscope in Darlo/Teeside somewhere? And, if you don't mind me asking.. how much did it cost?

===========================================================

Close, they are in Northallerton.

And no I don`t mind you asking, it cost me £120 for just over 2 x hours of his time.

I cant recomend him enough

Something about this, so very wrong.....I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn`t like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

coozer

posted on 22/6/10 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Super, I have a very similar setup to you and need some dyno time to optimise my Omex.

Thanks,
Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

norm007

posted on 22/6/10 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Super, I have a very similar setup to you and need some dyno time to optimise my Omex.
========================================================================

Give richard a bell on;01609780155.

If you need a base map to get you started, he kept a copy of my map.

Failing that I could email you a copy of my map to get you going in next day or so.

Regards,
Norm

jack_t

posted on 22/6/10 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
i suggest u dont take your cars there if you want a true reading as the rollers at motoscope over read by a good 20-30%

norm007

posted on 22/6/10 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
i suggest u dont take your cars there if you want a true reading as the rollers at motoscope over read by a good 20-30% -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What evidence have you got of this???

Are you saying that with my spec sheet it should only be showing 132bhp?

When the engine rolled out of Dagenham it would have had 135bhp!

My evidence is as follows;

When i 1st bought my Quantum it had a 1.8 silvertop with Omex plenum and single throttle body.
Omex claim 135 - 138bhp for this setup.
My car came with a dyno printout showing 135bhp.
I then fitted Piper cams, 2.0 throttle body and injectors to the 1.8 and took it to Motoscope.
Its 1st run on the original Omex map showed 138 bhp, but it was dangerously lean as was expected with the cams etc.

Based on that evidence I would say that their rolling road cannot be 20/30% out.

BTW, I have nothing to do with, or owe Motoscope anything other than being a very pleased customer of theirs

[Edited on 22/6/2010 by norm007]

cliftyhanger

posted on 22/6/10 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Rolling roads are always inaccurate. You can change "power" significantly by blowing the tyres up rock hard....
BUT they are invaluable for tweaking the cars and setting them up correctly. If the car drives much better then it is worth every penny. If you want accurate power figures best to use an engine dyno, but too much faff and probably too many disappointed punters. ( I reckon most rolling roads set their machines up to flatter the punter, who then goes away with a smile!)

norm007

posted on 22/6/10 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Rolling roads are always inaccurate. You can change "power" significantly by blowing the tyres up rock hard....
BUT they are invaluable for tweaking the cars and setting them up correctly. If the car drives much better then it is worth every penny. If you want accurate power figures best to use an engine dyno, but too much faff and probably too many disappointed punters. ( I reckon most rolling roads set their machines up to flatter the punter, who then goes away with a smile!) =======================================================

I totally agree with everything you say about flattering the customer.

But to test that, when I arrived, I was asked what I expected it to show?, to which I replied, 210bhp.
I didn`t expect 210 but was just seeing if he was going to show me 200

will121

posted on 22/6/10 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
that is a good result, ive got a simular spec but with a Emerald ECU and Newman cams, not got it on the rollers yet but i will be more than happy if i get 180bhp
atspeed racing

posted on 22/6/10 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
The old rolling road is wrong argument.
I would suggest that the BHP obtained in this case could be a calculated flywheel figure.

It is true that there are both rolling roads and engine dyno's that have there calibration a little on the "keen" side.

It makes no difference to a road going motor if he gets 600BHP or 100 bananas. If he went in with a car giving less and came out with more, it drives nice and is responsive to throttle input then he has had a good session! It is a problem if you are swapping rolling roads and then try to compare figures, then you have made a problem yourself as they could all read a little different.

Most rolling roads when calibrated correctly will give the same BHP numbers. We have checked ours with five well known rolling roads and we all give the same numbers (within 5 BHP). There are more problems with vehicles than the rolling road such as tyre pressures and their temperatures, brakes hanging on a little, the water and oil temps, not to mention atmospheric changes, pressure, humidity, temperature etc. the list goes on.

If this company does a good job, is priced to please and offers a good service, does it really matter what BHP is made, it is how the car drives on the road that counts, or if it is a track car, who it can beat.

Hope my imput helps

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
norm007

posted on 23/6/10 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
The old rolling road is wrong argument.
I would suggest that the BHP obtained in this case could be a calculated flywheel figure.

It is true that there are both rolling roads and engine dyno's that have there calibration a little on the "keen" side.

It makes no difference to a road going motor if he gets 600BHP or 100 bananas. If he went in with a car giving less and came out with more, it drives nice and is responsive to throttle input then he has had a good session! It is a problem if you are swapping rolling roads and then try to compare figures, then you have made a problem yourself as they could all read a little different.

Most rolling roads when calibrated correctly will give the same BHP numbers. We have checked ours with five well known rolling roads and we all give the same numbers (within 5 BHP). There are more problems with vehicles than the rolling road such as tyre pressures and their temperatures, brakes hanging on a little, the water and oil temps, not to mention atmospheric changes, pressure, humidity, temperature etc. the list goes on.

If this company does a good job, is priced to please and offers a good service, does it really matter what BHP is made, it is how the car drives on the road that counts, or if it is a track car, who it can beat.

Hope my imput helps =========================================

Here Here

cliftyhanger

posted on 23/6/10 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
which is exactly what I was trying to say. The ACTUAL power is irrelevant. What matters is the car is tuned better, is faster and hopefully more economical (until you use the right foot )

My car is off to the rollers next week. Pair of good old fashioned SU's. The guy there reprofiles the needles. Now that is a black art

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.