Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Homebase!
PSpirine

posted on 30/7/10 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Homebase!

Very pleased with Homebase service over the last 10 or so visits (not something I can say about B&Q!).

Store manager always went out of his way to help, and they price matched a B&Q ladder - was same functionality, but a different brand. Even got four guys to help load my car's roof with building materials, whereas the cashier at B&Q told me to go to the next till actually, because he wanted to take a break!!!! :O

I tend not to ask either store for actual technical opinions or recommendations, but the general attitude of staff has been night and day between homebase and B&Q, at least in the 6 or so stores within my radius.

Now that they price match, I can guarantee you that homebase will be getting my business every time where possible (the B&Q's around here tend to be a bit bigger so have a wider selection of little bits).

Have I just been very lucky?

Litemoth

posted on 30/7/10 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
I have found the local and corporate attitude of B&Q towards the punter pretty w*nk for quite some time now.....

They often expect you to 'self serve' even when you're loaded down with heavy building stuff. One told me that i should have been in earlier if i expected to have a till open.

I've walked out of B&Q and abandoned my goods on a couple of occasions because of the unhelpful attitude and being looked down on by gangs of idle-arse employees who begrudge having to break up their work-dodging party to help a customer.

I don't use them unless i'm ultra desperate now

deezee

posted on 30/7/10 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
I'm of the same opinion about B&Q. I use Wickes or Homebase. B&Q disgusts me the way half the products on the shelves have been tampered with and had items removed. The other half is either missing, priced wrong or simply not there.

D Beddows

posted on 30/7/10 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
B&Q's are interesting.... I have three warehouse type ones within a radius of about 3 miles and they all are different: one is really good for interior design things like wallpaper and tiles and has an excellent garden bit, another is good for timber, landscaping and trade type tools and the third one isn't as good as either of the others at anything........ all the local Homebases are expensive, have limited stock and employees who can't be arsed BUT when they have a sale they have some VERY decent discounts

I wouldn't dream of buying any fixings from any of them mind you!!

[Edited on 30/7/10 by D Beddows]

blakep82

posted on 30/7/10 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
got a homebase near me, always disappointed by it. they never have what i need, on the rare occasion they do, its expensive, and not very good quality.

B&Q is better, have more stock, but is about 30 minutes drive away

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mrwibble

posted on 30/7/10 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
I buy as much as i can from independant shops, can be an aladdins cave of bargains some times. saved nearly £25 on an extension lead at an independant shop wombourne, all HB had was a branded reel mounted extension for £30. he also sells bolts singularly and worries about the penny difference between nylock and normal nuts
MikeR

posted on 30/7/10 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm, Last weekend I was in B&Q and had excellent service from one lad. If the kitchen we've ordered comes as expected a letter of thanks will be going to his boss.

We asked him to help us find one part, he then checked what we where doing, explained the discounts. Instead of buying the cheap kitchen (which we'd 95% loaded onto two trolleys) we ended up buying the much better kitchen and by adding his additional 20% discount we've got a better kitchen for an extra hundred quid. We spent loads of time with him and nothing was too much trouble - by loads of time, probably a couple of hours in two trips in a day.

JoelP

posted on 30/7/10 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
in leeds, homebase is twice or thrice the price on some items. B&Q do trade discounts on multiple items, and with a trade card you get more back too.

I perfer to manage stock levels with trade suppliers, but when i fail and needs lots of random stuff for work i tend to go to b&q.

Howlor

posted on 30/7/10 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
I went to B&Q the t'other week and bought 3 x 25L tubs of paint for work. The hand scanner wouldn't work as it said the item must be scanned and placed on the weigh scale. I said to the assistant that it was ridiculous expecting people to have to lift 3 heavy items once again just to scan them. She told me there was no option. So I accidentally dropped one on the weigh scale! Anyway that was it decommissioned for the week! She then decided to scan them in the trolley for me.

The prices have really crept up over the last couple of years so now I very rarely go. I use Toolstation more and more as the prices are superb.

Steve

quinnj3

posted on 30/7/10 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
I don't bother with any of them much. There are a few local hardware stores in my area, all of them are a little cheaper than HB and B&Q and what you are buying is of much better quality.
One of the shops almost always rounds the total down to the nearest £1 when spending over a tenner. These are all small shops but they carry exactly what you need when you need it, I don't know how they do it!

my aim is to build my own locost wether it takes me a week or 10 years to get started, i'm sure i will sometime

mrwibble

posted on 31/7/10 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quinnj3
I don't bother with any of them much. There are a few local hardware stores in my area, all of them are a little cheaper than HB and B&Q and what you are buying is of much better quality.
One of the shops almost always rounds the total down to the nearest £1 when spending over a tenner. These are all small shops but they carry exactly what you need when you need it, I don't know how they do it!

+1

vive le revolution!

Benzine

posted on 31/7/10 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mrwibble
quote:

+1

vive le revolution!

+2

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 31/7/10 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deezee
B&Q disgusts me the way half the products on the shelves have been tampered with and had items removed.

That'll be me when I just need one odd screw from a big pack

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Ninehigh

posted on 31/7/10 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
quote:
Originally posted by mrwibble
quote:

+1

vive le revolution!

+2

Sounds like a plan, anyone know of one of these small shops in ellesmere port/chester?

Our local Q+B are alright, pretty much right in the middle of everyone else's opinions

David Jenkins

posted on 1/8/10 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
I have found B&Q to be stupidly expensive, and Homebase more so.

Last week I needed to get a bell push in a hurry (new front door being fitted next dsy). In B&Q it was £8-something - it was a nice brass one - in Homebase it was £10-something. This was for an identical item - same brand, model and packaging.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.