Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any Kitchen Fitters who could help me price up a job?
John P

posted on 15/2/11 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Any Kitchen Fitters who could help me price up a job?

As you may know I have recently set up as a self-employed handyman and have been asked to quote for fitting a new kitchen they have ordered from Benchmarx

As I’ve never had this sort of thing done by others I’m having a bit of a panic over pricing it up.

The room is approximately 5metres x 3metres and the kitchen they have sourced is arranged in a “U” shape.

There will be one 1000mm base unit with glass fronted dresser units above, one 1000mm base unit below an inset sink, two 600mm base units, two 150mm pullout racks and a 600mm wide draw pack.

Separately there is a 1000mm wide larder unit which is to hide the boiler and some rather ugly pipe work.

In addition there is an electric hob with oven below, an extractor (venting into the room), a normal washing machine and integrated dishwasher and fridge to fit and I will also have to box in some of the existing pipe-work.

The worktops are 38mm laminate and have a total length of around 8metres over which is a tiled splash back. There are no other wall cupboards and the electrics will be done by a relative of the customer.

Including replacing the existing radiator with an identical new one I have come up with a price for labour only of £1280.

Does this sound OK or is it more than you would expect.

John.

emsfactory

posted on 15/2/11 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
To fit a kitchen, box in pipes, tile and change a rad.
Sounds a good price to me.

I recently matched a price for a kitchen fit with BandQ £1400 for a basic refit. A couple more units than your talking but thats all.

[Edited on 15/2/11 by emsfactory]

loggyboy

posted on 15/2/11 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
My mate fitted my kitchen for £100 a day, his usual private rate is £150-200.

It took him (and me) 3 days to the basics in and the work top cut and fitted. I did the rest (appliances, handles, pelmets, corcice etc.)

Main thin I wanted to use a pro for was cutting the work top as that needs to be perfect and needs some decent tools (jig, router etc)

Our Kitchen is about 3x3 with 2 lenghts of worktop and a 3rd run as a breakfast bar.

To do the complete job it was going to be £2K+ from Homebase on top of the £4ks worth of kitchen and appliances.

ashg

posted on 15/2/11 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
my other half works for cusines schmidt. they charge the customer £500 a day for a kitchen fitter but then their cheepo basic kitchens start around 10k.

if it was me i would calculate it by the days i think its going to take and what i wanted to earn as a reasonable wage for those days plus expected materials on top.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Peteff

posted on 15/2/11 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
8 metres of worktop with a tiled splashback, are you doing the tiling as well and how high is the tiling going? That is a job on it's own that would cost most of what you are quoting.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

DarrenW

posted on 15/2/11 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like 5 man days work without going too deep into the spec.

If you need to hire gear in to cut the worktops dont forget to price it into job. If you havent done it before you may need to make allowance for a new length of worktop.

Its surprising how the job can add up if they havent bought things like flexy tap adaptors or isolating valves etc. But i guess they will pay for them. if you have to go out and get them you can easily lose half a day.

Going back to grout tiles etc can add time on.

As a total curve ball that others can answer - if you fit a cupboard around a boiler - is the fitter responsible for ensuring it is correctly vented or the kitchen designer / supplier? I guess similar question ref placement of hobs, ovens etc.

JoelP

posted on 15/2/11 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
thats about right for the price i think, if you are tiling. If not, its a bit steep considering theres no electrics - are you plumbing? However, i think that for that price they would expect a professional job. Make sure that either you can do it to the standard they expect, or that they arent observant!

Time wise, if you arent practiced at kitchen fitting, you'd have to call it 6 or 7 days. Me and the lad would do it with plumbing and electrics in 3 days, with an extra day for the tiling and grouting.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.