Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MK GT1
pennpromo

posted on 6/7/12 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
MK GT1

Well, I am reluctantly having to put my MK GT1 on Pistonheads:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/4039653.htm

Took it to Castle Combe on Wednesday in the damp it scared me!
It's very quick in a straight line and has incredible levels of grip, I was passing Exiges and Elises with no problem, but going into Avon Rise, before the infamous Quarry Corner, at nearly 125 MPH was just too much for me.
Maybe I am getting too old for this sort of stuff !
I had one spin on a big wet patch later in the day, accelerating coming out of Quarry, but it was quite controllable and I collected it after two complete rotations and carried on.
I think that the Quafe limited slip diff was really good in those conditions.

I know that I have only had it for about three months but circumstances have changed slightly and I just don't see that I will use it as intended on track days.

It's really well sorted now, I have spent loads of time and money on a rebuild, ready to tow away and play with spare wheels and various bits and bobs. Just fitted a new main sprocket and chain too.
As far as I can gather there were only about 6 ever made, this was the original Canon car that belonged to Paul Leggett. It has had the diff carrier reinforced as that was a major weak point plus othr bits of chassis welding.
The one slightly negative point is that the chassis was never powder coated and I have had to locally touch up much of the white Hammerite, but she does look good now.

Price is very much negotiable as I guess its a buyer's market and I may be open to part ex on something slower!
Mobile is the best way to get hold of me: 07740 900227.
SIMON

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

tul214

posted on 6/7/12 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm, a timely ad?

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

fifty50

posted on 6/7/12 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pennpromo
Well, I am reluctantly having to put my MK GT1 on Pistonheads:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/4039653.htm

Took it to Castle Combe on Wednesday in the damp it scared me!
It's very quick in a straight line and has incredible levels of grip, I was passing Exiges and Elises with no problem, but going into Avon Rise, before the infamous Quarry Corner, at nearly 125 MPH was just too much for me.
Maybe I am getting too old for this sort of stuff !
I had one spin on a big wet patch later in the day, accelerating coming out of Quarry, but it was quite controllable and I collected it after two complete rotations and carried on.
I think that the Quafe limited slip diff was really good in those conditions.

I know that I have only had it for about three months but circumstances have changed slightly and I just don't see that I will use it as intended on track days.

It's really well sorted now, I have spent loads of time and money on a rebuild, ready to tow away and play with spare wheels and various bits and bobs. Just fitted a new main sprocket and chain too.
As far as I can gather there were only about 6 ever made, this was the original Canon car that belonged to Paul Leggett. It has had the diff carrier reinforced as that was a major weak point plus othr bits of chassis welding.
The one slightly negative point is that the chassis was never powder coated and I have had to locally touch up much of the white Hammerite, but she does look good now.

Price is very much negotiable as I guess its a buyer's market and I may be open to part ex on something slower!
Mobile is the best way to get hold of me: 07740 900227.
SIMON

Hi Simon, Yes I was the original owner builder of this car and yes its mega quick. but one point the chassis was powder coated white by MK, but i think it was a bit thin. I have some photos of the build of this car which I will post later today . Paul

pennpromo

posted on 6/7/12 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Simon, Yes I was the original owner builder of this car and yes its mega quick. but one point the chassis was powder coated white by MK, but i think it was a bit thin. I have some photos of the build of this car which I will post later today . Paul

Paul, photos; thank you, that's very kind.
Unfortunately there were quite a few rust spots on the chassis where the powder coat has peeled away, I blasted them all off and gave them two coats of Hammerite smooth so it now looks way better.
The car has probably seen quite a lot of action since you had it !
I had to lift the bottom of the dash as I am quite tall and couldn't get in, so I moved all of the switches to the right hand side running down the tub.
I did see some posts about a chap who had it in France on the site, I brought it from a chap near Oxford who had it for about 18 months. Definitely an acquired taste, too fast for country lane around my house !

parkiboy

posted on 7/7/12 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Why does this come up after I bought my Indy r! Always fancied one of these I lost out on one on eBay recently!
pennpromo

posted on 10/8/12 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
MK GT1

Well its still for sale!
Loads of inquiries offering old Sierra Cosworths and other tat in part ex !
So if any of you are interested £9,500 for a quick sale.
Includes:
2005 MK GT1 Hayabusa, on an 05 plate
Body moulds
Covered custom made trailer with ramps, winch and side awning.
2 sets wheels, tyres, (R888s).
Akropovic titanium exhaust, plus standard.
A few boxes of assorted spares inc unfitted Power commander USB.
Away this weekend, (11/12 Aug), but otherwise viewing at pretty much anytime in Christchurch, Dorset.
Usually on my mobile: 07740900227, SIMON.

AdamR20

posted on 10/8/12 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like a great bit of kit, and a good price!

Wish you weren't so far away...

Wheels244

posted on 11/8/12 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Simon

Would you be willing to sell the body moulds ?

Or if not, could you make me a set of bodywork from them ?

Cheers

Rob

pennpromo

posted on 13/8/12 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Body moulds

Hi Rob, sorry but I do want to sell them with the car and I have a buyer this weekend- I think, so probably not enough time I am afraid. If the buyer decides not to take them I will of course advertise them separately. Simon.

[Edited on 13/8/12 by pennpromo]

pennpromo

posted on 21/8/12 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Final discount!

So having had three time wasters; final absolute bargain price; £9,000 tow it away !

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.