Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VW Caddy's?
MsD

posted on 21/1/13 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
VW Caddy's?

Evening guys,

As i doubt there is a vehicle in existance that the LCB collective havn't owned I need some advice on a VW caddy van.

Ive had the usual search on google and have heard mostly good things about them but I was wondering if anyone had any experience? Im looking at roughly 2008-2010.

Ive been told that the TDI is the one to choose and the N/A is a bit gutless!

Im gonna be mainly using it for driving to and from work and mountain bike trips throughout the UK. So putting as many miles on this as possible!

Thanks, Mark.

van cleef

posted on 21/1/13 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
I own a 56 plate SDI 2.0 which is the N/A and I have had 4 years of ownership now.

The van is fine but I do kinda regret not buying the TDI. It's fine for what I need it for as most of the time I don't have too much weight in the back but it will annoy you something rotten in trying to overtake. I only went for the SDI because at the time it was such a good price I couldn't refuse. Mine has been pretty indestructible and is almost at the 100k mark and I've done 75k of that.

I'm thinking in upgrading to a Caddy Maxi or possibly a Transporter in the next months.

chris mason

posted on 21/1/13 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a 61 plate 2.0 140 Tdi,
Drove it straight from the showroom to another company and had the RNS510 fitted (sat nav etc) well worth it, and it's far cheaper to get it done locally with a new unit than through VW (circa 2k option)

No real problems with the van in 20k, just a glitch with selecting 1st, 1st thing in the morning, goes in fine but it's not as smooth as i'd like, so far it's been in 3 times for various repairs relating too this and it still remains, VW Technical in Germany is looking in to it. Start the van in gear and there's no issue.

Yeah the 2.0 Sdi is gutless
the 1.6tdi is better but still not great fully loaded, but the 2.0 Tdi is as good as car.
In fact iirc it books at 0.2 seconds quicker too 60mph than the 140ps passat estate.

[Edited on 21/1/13 by chris mason]

Wadders

posted on 21/1/13 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Iv'e got the same issue with my 2.0 140 transporter Chris, was going to mention it to them when it goes in for its first service
so let me know if you get yours sorted.

Cheers
Al

GOJO

posted on 22/1/13 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
Quality van i had a 57 plate for two years and only sold it because a mate was pestering me for it, make sure you find one with elec pack, air con is a bonus but compressors are prone to fail around 4-6 years old and cost around 500 upwards to replace so if you wouldnt spend that to fix it i wouldnt bother about it when looking, apart from that all good with 1.9 tdi it chips well from 105 bhp to 140 ish and keeping fuelling good .
Mine
BBs 18" alloys
Kw rear lowering kit
Front coil overs
Golf gt leather wheel
Parrot mki kit
De textured bumpers and colour match
Xenon kit
Tints
Seat leon seats (almost straight in)
Sliding door rail cover colour matched
Re-mapped

And i do miss it but contemplating a t5 facelift

keithjardine

posted on 22/1/13 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
My dad has an SDI caddy, great driving comfortable van but the lack of power is quite pathetic. If i remember rightly it has one of the best load weight ratings for that class of van?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.