Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hot brake lines near exhaust?
tegwin

posted on 24/5/07 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hot brake lines near exhaust?

Just been doing engine testing on my car and the brake line that runs to the back of the car from the MC passes about 3" away from the header pipes.....it gets HOT...

Is this an issue?

I was thinking about sleeving it in some of that space age type wrap......

Also the bottom of the brake servo is about an inch away from the headers...again, is this an issue?

Oh..the headers are wrapped!

westf27

posted on 24/5/07 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Could be if you are sva'ing.I made a heatshield to protect my master cylinder and lines adjacent to headers.Tester said he would have advised it had he not seen it fitted.One of those grey areas I think

russbost

posted on 24/5/07 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
I would recommend covering it for safety's sake, just an ali cover allowing cool air to circulate round it but protecting it from the hot exhaust - I have something like this around wiring which runs quite near my exhausts, cost about tuppence & does the job a treat!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
ayoungman

posted on 24/5/07 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
I'd go for stianless . It reflects the heat better rather than soaking it up like aluminuim. Rescued attachment DSCF005exaust trim3.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF005exaust trim3.JPG

"just like that !"

Macbeast

posted on 24/5/07 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Brake fluid can absorb moisture and then when it gets hot the water boils and turns to vapour which isn't that good at operating the brakes. I think this water absorption is one reason why you should renew brake fluid every two years or so. Or so the people who make brake fluid say

Yes I would try to keep the pipes cool.

NS Dev

posted on 25/5/07 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
I used to fade the brakes on my manta with the XE 16v in it cos the brake pipes and bias valve were a bit near to the exhaust manifold, deffo shield them or better, put them elsewhere

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

cm

posted on 26/5/07 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
i would make a little heatshield, it cant be good an it? Hotter brake fluid.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.