Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: AC 3000ME
Humbug

posted on 4/6/07 at 06:19 AM Reply With Quote
AC 3000ME

Anyone remember these? Just wondering if anyone had thought of making a replica. To my miind it's a nice retro shape... not too sure about the rear end, but maybe with a flat panel and some individual round lights?

Wonder if it would fit on another middy chassis?

http://www.ac3000me.com/cgi-bin/ac3000me.pl?fid=1116197501&query=pagenum%3D1%26cgifunction%3DSearch&cgifunction=form

ned

posted on 4/6/07 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
Looks a bit ferrari 308 meets fiat x1/9 with some tr7 thrown in for good measure, I kinda like it

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigbravedave

posted on 4/6/07 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
absolute minters are changing hands for 5k so not really woth a replica, the chain driven hewland gearbox needs a rebuild every 10-20 thousand miles. could make a good engine transplant donor!
Browser

posted on 4/6/07 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
I believe when they moved to Scotland, ex-BRM engine designer/draghtsman and ex Weslake engine designer Aubrey Woods went with them and went on to design it's replacement, the Ecosse Signature.
I've put this in as said Mr Woods used to live accross the road from us in Market Deeping and I (a) wasn't into motorsport then and (b) had no idea what he did for a living anyway! I can definitely remember him having an ME3000 just before they moved, metallic silver and looking as impressive as hell. When he used to go anywhere in it he used to constantly blip the throttle after he'd started it and when backing off the drive. I never knew whether it was because it'd stall if he didn't or if he was from the 'blipping the throttle is macho' school of motoring
I can remember his kids, one of whom, Andrew, was about my age, having an electrically-powered kiddie-car replica of a BRM sports prototype racer they used to drive up and down the street in.
As for the ME3000, chain-driven gearbox, what were they thinking?
Get hold of an engine/box from a Noble M12 and bung that in, now yer talkin'!

ayoungman

posted on 4/6/07 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
front is very 308 gtb ferrari isn't it

Not too sure about the rear quaters though. Clearly, they couldn't copy the 308 rear as well could they?

"just like that !"

jimmyjoebob

posted on 27/8/07 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Originals go for up to £15k now! I believe the gearbox was a maxi gearbox that sat beneath the heavy essex v6 engine. That much weight so high up meant that they were scary to drive quick through the twisties!

If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you ever tried!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.