Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GPS recommendations
BenB

posted on 28/12/07 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
GPS recommendations

I'm looking at buying a GPS unit (too many arguments when the wife's navigating ) but it seems to make sense to get one which allows me to choose a route in advance going via specific roads rather than always going via their options (IE so I can plug it in when on a blat or so I can put tulip style route maps into it for tours)....

Is there a specific name for this function in GPS speak? Does anyone with a Garmin or TomTom Go know if they'll do this???

I'm guessing the basic units will only send you via the quickest route rather than letting you choose nice bendy ones!!!

Cheers for any heads ups!!

Jon Ison

posted on 28/12/07 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Mines a navman, using the "avoid" options you can plan a route like you want especially if you plan it "via" if that makes sense, pretty sure others will do the same ?
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 28/12/07 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
i have a tomtom, its great but there are a few things it doesn't do that i would like, one is the ability to save a particular route for use again.

and the other is the ability to upload bulk points of interest like petrol stations that take my work fuel card for my pickup

this doesn't really help you much sorry, i do have a fairly poverty spec tomtom also so this kind of stuff might be possible with better gps

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

donut

posted on 28/12/07 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 28/12/07 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Another for a TomTom....

I have a TOMTOM ONE apart from the lack of updates they release... it's fine.

Steve

Mark Allanson

posted on 28/12/07 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
My daughter bought a Tomtom One yesterday, very pleased with it.

A minor flaw I saw was the inability to use the present position as a favorite place. We live in an place which the postcodes cover a large area and I could not set our cottage as 'Dads House' for instance.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

JoelP

posted on 28/12/07 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson

A minor flaw I saw was the inability to use the present position as a favorite place. We live in an place which the postcodes cover a large area and I could not set our cottage as 'Dads House' for instance.

someone told me it does do that, but ive never managed myself. There are many things that tomtom1 doesnt do though. The avoid roadblock system is clumsy. It assumes you are going to obey speed limits and hence rarely pulls up 'ratrun' shortcuts. It has a LOT of POIs listed wrong, FI macdonalds that dont exist etc. Very annoying when you just want a fast scran somewhere.

One tip i heard was to save your home address with the house number wrong, incase thieves rob it and your house keys when you're out - they may get 'home' before you!

brycheiniog

posted on 28/12/07 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
I use a Garmin Quest which does everything you want it to do and has the added bonus of being waterproof .

It seems to be the GPS of choice now on se7ens.net tours..

Jonathan

Coose

posted on 28/12/07 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brycheiniog
I use a Garmin Quest which does everything you want it to do and has the added bonus of being waterproof .

Jonathan

I wouldn't say that - the Northern arm of Tour7 tend to sway towards this one: -

Spin 'er off Well...

twybrow

posted on 28/12/07 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Liam - The TomTom can have lists of just about anything uploaded to it!

http://www.tomtomfree.com/POI_collections.htm

Do a search, there are plenty of sites offering free POI (Point of Interest) files....

BenB

posted on 28/12/07 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone know if you can upload ITN files to Tomtom?
It appears Autoroute to ITN is possible....I'm not so keen on the Quest screen....

the_fbi

posted on 28/12/07 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
fwiw

http://www.find-satnav-deals.com/

TomTom One XL is a good deal, then again under £100 for a TomTom One is a good saving.

Most GPS systems allow you to pick the shortest (which should be your wiggly back roads) or the fastest route.

stuart_g

posted on 28/12/07 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
I have navman and would definately recommend it, top kit.
martyn_16v

posted on 29/12/07 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson

someone told me it does do that, but ive never managed myself.

Add Favourite -> GPS Location. It's on the second screen

BenB

posted on 29/12/07 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coose
quote:
Originally posted by brycheiniog

Jonathan

I wouldn't say that - the Northern arm of Tour7 tend to sway towards this one: -

On the LTL tour I didn't have a map or a satnav (or a mobile phone that worked in ROI), and although I had a route guide I didn't have a navigator!!! Perhaps that's why I ended up @

nice road but I hadn't seen another car for 30 minutes and was running out of petrol!!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.