Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MOT failure implications
trogdor

posted on 19/5/08 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
MOT failure implications

Hi,

I am thinking of putting my pug 106 in for an mot soon as it will be up at the end of june. One of the driveshafts CV joints is making a horrible knocking noise but i don't want to replace if the car fails it mot on loads of other things. would just scrap it in that case.

However if i take it for an mot and it fails. It will still have last years certificate that is valid for about a month, is this still valid? It would make my life easier getting it fixed etc.

cheers

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/5/08 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
wrap it up tight with duct tape since you really like that stuff

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
thunderace

posted on 19/5/08 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
ask for a pre mot check most places do it for free.im sure quick fit do it free give them a phone and ask.
vinny1275

posted on 19/5/08 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
with the new computerised MOTs it may cause you a problem - took mine for its MOT last week and it passed - it was a few days before the expiry but I got the renwal date on the new certificate, even tho I hadn't taken the old one in. Failing an MOT might flag you up on the computer if you do drive it, but producing the old certificate should get you out of it.

As suggested, a pre-MOT check might be the way to go...

Cheers

Vince

ravingfool

posted on 19/5/08 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Now I don't know this for certain, and I don't have the time to check to be sure, but I thought that if you have an MOT done before your current certificate runs out and you fail, then your car is NOT ROADWORTHY! and the old MOT is no longer valid despite theoretically having time left on it. The MOT is a certificate of roadworthyness (!) but you can be prosecuted for driving a car that is not road worthy never mind whether it has a current MOT, and then on top of that, not having a valid MOT is another prosecutable offence.

ETA so as said above, if a 'pre-MOT' is possible, do that.

[Edited on 19/5/08 by ravingfool]

b184

posted on 19/5/08 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Should you car fail the mot, your old certificate is still valid upto its expiary date.
If you car passes then the time you have left on your old ticket should automatically add on to your new on.
I am an mot testing garage

gingerprince

posted on 19/5/08 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
If your car fails the MOT then it is no longer legal to drive, regardless of how much WAS on the previous certificate.

You are however allowed to drive it from the MOT station to a place of repair, providing that it is not deemed as dangerous by the tester.

So technically you could get it MOT'd, and if it's just fails on your CV joints then get that repaired. If it fails on more then ring the scrappers.

You'd have to check whether you're allowed to drive it home rather than to another garage for repair, assuming you're going to do it yourself. But you cannot just drive it around for another month.

trogdor

posted on 19/5/08 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
The pre mot check sounds like a good idea, i having trouble finding anyone who does them, free or otherwise. Kwik fit don't, well in runcorn at least!

matt_claydon

posted on 19/5/08 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerprince
If your car fails the MOT then it is no longer legal to drive, regardless of how much WAS on the previous certificate.

This is completely wrong I'm afraid. The old certificate remains valid regardless of the outcome of the test. There is VOSA documentation to confirm this but I can't seem to find it right now.

THe fail is on record though so if an accident did occur due to a fault that you knew about having failed the MOT then you could be in trouble for driving an unroadworthy vehicle, but you could not be prosecuted for no MOT.

b184

posted on 19/5/08 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Pre mot check.
It is only reasonable that you are charged for this and is not free as it would take the same amount of time as a full mot.
We garages cannot work for nothing and as a customer you get nothing for free it all has to be paid for.
Vosa also prefer that vehicles are tested without a pre check and failed items are recorded as this gives them a better picture of what vehicle are like on the road.
Look on the back of your vt30 ( red fail sheet) it explains there.

trogdor

posted on 19/5/08 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Well i did surprise me a little if it had been free. Would only expect that from one of the big chains. Either way i will prob put it on for an mot in the next few days. Hopefully all it needs is a new driveshaft!

speedyxjs

posted on 19/5/08 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
You could buy a haynes manual for your car (if you dont already have one) in th back they have the MOT checks. Should gie you a good idea about whether it will pass or not

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

trogdor

posted on 19/5/08 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
wrap it up tight with duct tape since you really like that stuff

Have't had to use duct tape for this one, my old micra has gone to the scrapyard in the sky. Such a shame. But i don't want to do what i did with the micra for its mot. Spend more than what the car was worth to get it through the mot.

britishtrident

posted on 19/5/08 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_claydon
quote:
Originally posted by gingerprince

This is completely wrong I'm afraid. The old certificate remains valid regardless of the outcome of the test. There is VOSA documentation to confirm this but I can't seem to find it right now.

THe fail is on record though so if an accident did occur due to a fault that you knew about having failed the MOT then you could be in trouble for driving an unroadworthy vehicle, but you could not be prosecuted for no MOT.

Yes exactly my understanding as with tax discs it is having the paperwork that matters, a valid certificate is a valid certificate it can't be changed retrospectively.

I think the situation might be different if the tester issued a refusal to test notice --- aka red slip -- as this clearly states the vehicle is unroadworthy should not be driven.

[Edited on 19/5/08 by britishtrident]

phoenix70

posted on 19/5/08 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
As someone else pointed out, if you were involve in an accident and it had failed you may be in trouble. The other issue is if they find something that is dangerous, they could stop you driving it if that was the case, regardless of the current MOT
trogdor

posted on 19/5/08 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Yes if they had found something really dangerous than deffo wouldn't drive it.

Am putting it in for an mot tomorrow, may as well just go for it. As the pre mot checks aren't any cheaper than an mot.

Wish me luck!

b184

posted on 19/5/08 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
If your car fails an MOT but you still have a bit of test left from last year, you are still road legal with your mot, you may however not have a roadworth car ( construction and use regs) for which you can get done.
To an extent, you are all missing the point of the MOT. It is only a check that the vehicle meets the MINIMUM road worthyness condition AT THE TIME OF TEST.
It in no way means the vehicle will be roadworth fot the next 12 months.
It is the drivers responsibility to have it checked and repaired as needed all year.
Basically the MOT is like an SVA; a waste of time because as soon as you have the certificate all kinds of thinds get changed and modified.
Sorry this is a bit of a sensative nerve Customers think the test is a warrenty for the next 12 months.

Peteff

posted on 19/5/08 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
You can MOT a month in advance of the expiry date and still retain the old MOT according to the bike shop. Any earlier than that and you will run from the date of the new test.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

trogdor

posted on 20/5/08 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Well i took it for an mot today, needs a new driveshaft, new wishbones a tyre and some other bits and bobs. Plus alot of my suspension points are starting to corrode. It will cost something like £150-£200 to fix and the car isn't worth that.

I think i will get rid and buy something a bit longer lasting. Am thinking of something like a VW polo?

Peteff

posted on 20/5/08 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Why should a Polo last longer? It's only made of the same stuff. If you want something to last longer you'll have to look at something newer that's not started to rot yet

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

trogdor

posted on 20/5/08 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
well yes your prob right

well i want somethiing with 5 gears that will last awhile!

am tempted by something german or swedish

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.