Board logo

Tunnel tactics!!
doughie - 9/4/12 at 03:17 PM

Just about to start buildin the tunnel (will be using the 1300 x-flow and either 4 speed or type 9)

those of you with a standard book locost on the road - is there anything i should take into account?

(mods for diff/ gearbox clearance etc)

adithorp - 9/4/12 at 03:56 PM

When I saw the thread title I thought my answer would be...

Take out the ear plugs, drop it down a couple of gears and floor the loud pedal.

...but I guess thats a different sort of tunnel. Sorry can't realy help.

JeffHs - 9/4/12 at 04:04 PM

Mine is a standard live axle book chassis with Pinto and RS bellhousing on 4 speed box. Originally I put the engine where the book says but eventually I chopped out the bottom of the tunnel at the front end and moved the engine and box about 6 inches further back. I rebuilt the tunnel by plating it with 18 gauge steel.
It gave me a near perfect 50:50 weight distribution at SVA, removed the need for a gear lever extension and made routing the steering column past the alternator a doddle - I manged to use the original big Pinto alternator.
Only disdavantages I can see is a slightly compromised footwell but my size 9s fit ok; I had to use an expensive angle drive for the speedo (electronics would be simpler) and it's a real pain to fit a clutch cable after the gearbox is installed, but doable.

doughie - 12/4/12 at 06:38 AM

Thanks for your replies

Cheers JeffHs - have opted to widen the drivers side a little (20mm) and see where the engine/ gearbox will sit...

Adithorpe - hope to be asking about that some time, but it won't be soon...