Board logo

Shocks upside down
Dingz - 15/3/14 at 10:47 PM

Does anyone know if you can run Spax shocks upside down?

Wheels244 - 15/3/14 at 11:19 PM

If Spax are the same design as normal dampers - then no you can't.
The foot valve won't be submerged in the oil.

jossey - 15/3/14 at 11:57 PM

I've asked that question before n been told no. I had seen some shox on a car and they were upside down but I was told they had been made specifically that way.

Dave

ashg - 16/3/14 at 10:10 AM

you need gas filled mono shocks to run them upside down.

Dingz - 18/3/14 at 04:55 PM

Thanks for the comments, FYI they are gas filled but Spax have said no you can't run them upside down. On to plan B

Wheels244 - 18/3/14 at 06:18 PM

I don't know of any purely gas filled dampers - but I stand be corrected.
Gas assisted dampers have the gas to reduce the chance the damping oil frothing with prevents the damper cavitating.

Rob

Not Anumber - 18/3/14 at 07:00 PM

Australian market only

alfas - 19/3/14 at 08:19 AM

a typical monoshock like spax, gaz, protec or whatever brand should NOT be run upside down.

a lot of people in the seven communities all over the world insist that its possible..and a lot of owners do it..insisting that they cannot feel any neg. influences in the road behaviour...but this is mostly due to the cars having coils way too hard.

Theshed - 19/3/14 at 10:42 AM

It all depends on the design.... if the gas is separated from the oil by a floating piston - whether at the bottom of the damper or in a separate reservoir there seems no sensible reason why the damper needs to be mounted any particular way up. In many circuit cars they are flat.

this is a good link

http://www.tein.co.jp/e/special/ni_toryu/index.html