Board logo

Thinking of buying a Caterham
Nitrogeno25 - 14/11/14 at 10:51 PM

My car is a Lotus S3 replica, with a 2L Duratec on Jenveys. It runs OK, and buiding it was a really nice experience.

Now, I would like to assemble a car where every bolt just fits in their hole, have some easy upgrades paths, and works out of the box. I also like the Caterham heritage.

Am I getting older?

snapper - 15/11/14 at 06:39 AM

Not necessarally older but you'll have to be more wealthy

Nickp - 15/11/14 at 06:57 AM

Not necessarily older, or wiser

daniel mason - 15/11/14 at 07:22 AM

Caterham has to be a good choice if you can afford one!
They hold their re-sale value like no other! But they are very small

Matt21 - 15/11/14 at 07:33 AM

smaller = less weight

907 - 15/11/14 at 08:18 AM

My son bought a Caterham for £8k

Spent £1k on it, and ran it for a year.

Sold it for £10k.

Compare that to my Locost'alike.

Cost £7k to build. (will have after IVA)

Worth £4k (after IVA)

After a year I'd be lucky to get £3k

Thing is though, I have a Caterham size brain…. but a +4 arse.

Paul G

daniel mason - 15/11/14 at 08:21 AM

I only paid £8k for my old one. 1994 m reg 1.4 k series.
Excellent little car it was.handling was superb when compared to other 7's I've had but it didn't have much grunt

David Jenkins - 15/11/14 at 09:37 AM

My son drove one on one of those Silverstone 'drive a sports car' days. He is 6' 1", skinny, with size 10 feet. He fitted in, although he said it was a bit cosy, but his feet with trainers on were far too big to work the pedals - he had to take his trainers off.

Something to consider if you're anything over size 8...

Jenko - 15/11/14 at 12:39 PM

Catherham is a well honed package, so sounds like it's a good choice. I think the westfield kit is also comprehensive, with panels, brake lines fitted before purchase.

Catherham is expensive though.

Nitrogeno25 - 15/11/14 at 02:23 PM

Many thanks for your replies guys!

My car is very similiar in dimensions to a Caterham, I'm 6' and fit OK.

I know they are not cheap, I'm looking at a Roadsport 125 in kit form and with time maybe upgrade to 140-150hp.

Cheers!

Thanks again.

Barkalarr - 15/11/14 at 07:22 PM

I've had a couple of MK's and now have a Caterham and it is fantastic !
It goes like stink and handles like its on rails.

My current one is a 1.6 k series - I'd say, if you can afford it, get one - you won't regret it and you will be able to get your money back as mentioned above.

Don't be fooled that everything is going to fit though. I bought a carbon dash direct from Caterham and it didn't fit - the lower ears were too big and were at the wrong angle - I was very disappointed.

I'd love an R500 but that's just too far out of financial reach.

Nitrogeno25 - 19/11/14 at 01:44 PM

Does anybody know if Caterham is still providing the starter kit? I tryed contacting them bit still waiting. I already have a Duratec and gearbox so the starter kit could be an option.

Thanks!

Cheers!!

Chris_Xtreme - 19/11/14 at 07:48 PM

if you are after something a bit bigger and cheaper but still pretty much 'this bolt goes here', with a pretty good manual (I must confess I haven't built mind but have the manual) is the quantum xtreme.