Board logo

Welding gas
mad4x4 - 6/2/12 at 09:04 PM

What do you guys do.. I just got a rental bill in for air products for over 100 quid. I be a good mind to return the bottle..... Is there any where I can buy out right a bottle and then pay for an exchange when I have used the contents. I would be a low volume user as it takes me upto 18 months to use a full size bottle depending on projects.... Don't want to go back to the disposable can as they run out in about 20 min...... And are not cost effective.

khm - 6/2/12 at 09:19 PM

just got a tig so needed argon, got a bottle of 'hobby gas', buy the bottle, then pay for re fills, when you finish with it you sell the bottle back to them loosing £20 ( i think ) only problem is it's a smaller bottle but i won't use that much gas, as have full sized one for mig

matty h - 6/2/12 at 09:35 PM

Intrested to know who you bought the bottle off.
Matty

fazerruss - 6/2/12 at 09:38 PM

Ive just gone with energas. £5.34 +vat rental per month on a 20L midi (half full size bottle). Then £42.47 +vat per refill but that is for pure argon which is quite a bit dearer than normal argonshield for mig.
Also no minimum contract so I can take it back whenever I want.

need4speed - 6/2/12 at 09:41 PM

Never used them but heard a lot of people talking about Adams gas ( Link) they ship bottles all over the UK.

davidimurray - 6/2/12 at 09:49 PM

I use -

Target Tools & Equipment (Welding Gas,OFN,Refridgerant,Helium,Regulators,Garage tools)
Unit 1 Innsworth Technology Park
Innsworth Lane
Gloucester
Gl3 1DL
07939 581 896 Available week days & weekends for collection/possible delivery
(best to ring prior to visiting)

If you speak to Andy he has distributors across the UK. Not sure what current deals are but I paid something like £50 rental refundable deposit for 3 years and then £25 for a Pure Argon refill.

snakebelly - 6/2/12 at 10:44 PM

we get our gas of an adams gas agent in shropshire, hes just told me they are bringing out a bottle next month bigger than the current 9l and filled to a higher pressure, cant remember the exact size but think it might be a 20l. He is going to give me a call when they arrive as we are going to upsize all 3 of our bottles.

khm - 7/2/12 at 08:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by matty h
Intrested to know who you bought the bottle off.
Matty

it's just a local gas supplier, it's a new line he has just started

loggyboy - 7/2/12 at 12:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
Don't want to go back to the disposable can as they run out in about 20 min...... And are not cost effective.

I use disposables and have always found them to be very cost effective. I use the halfords £10 jobbies, last me months and months, I must have done about 10-15 odd job welding bits (like my prop catcher etc) over the past 3 years on my current bottle!
I did a massive job of welding on my Nova on 1.5 bottles (inc seam welded engine bay, chassis leg adjustment, sill and rear arch replacement, custom brake servo set up and more) .

[Edited on 7/2/12 by loggyboy]

luke - 7/2/12 at 02:38 PM

Ive used these guys http://gascylindersuk.co.uk/

Local to me in St Helen's so delivered a bottle, don't know what delivery will be like up to you though. There's no contract just a bottle hire deposit added to the cost of the first bottle.