Board logo

Automatic or Manual Choke?
fuzzy!! - 28/8/09 at 06:21 PM

Hi all - would anyone care to comment on the relative merits of auto/manual choke? and what I should go for?

Only looking for a minor upgrade to 32/36 DGAV/DGV. Depending on feedback anyone got either spare?

tia

Jon Ison - 28/8/09 at 06:28 PM

100% manual, gives you control, atomatic never knows just how much or lirttle it needs plus they are a pain in the butt and never work properly.

r1_pete - 28/8/09 at 06:39 PM

Manual every time, gives you control in all circumstances. The Weber system is coolant controlled, and has all sorts of springs, pull off valves etc. which might work ok when new, but when thngs wear and become maladjusted, it can create more problems than enough.

David Jenkins - 28/8/09 at 06:54 PM

I bought a manual choke kit for my old Weber DGAV from a local motor factors - under £10, I think.

02GF74 - 28/8/09 at 07:10 PM

manual - a primitive system based on springs, metalic strips, wax etc, is never gonna be as good as a human brain, well, in most cases it won't be.

fuzzy!! - 28/8/09 at 08:22 PM

great, so that's either pretty conclusive or fairly unanimous then

thanks

nick205 - 28/8/09 at 09:07 PM

manual everytime for me - exactly what I have on my Indy. Simple, effective and reliable - exactly how it should be.

tomprescott - 28/8/09 at 09:19 PM

Manual!
Auto chokes are nowhere near as reliable and you get zero control!

mediabloke - 28/8/09 at 10:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
The Weber system is coolant controlled, and has all sorts of springs, pull off valves etc. which might work ok when new, but when thngs wear and become maladjusted, it can create more problems than enough.

Just remembered how nuts it used to drive me, trying to blip the throttle to switch off the auto choke on my first Astra...

Definitely manual.