Board logo

Type 9 Clutch Release bearing removal
JimSpencer - 18/11/10 at 11:18 PM

Hi

Sorry if this has been covered before but I can't find it..

Situation is, can't figure out the removal procedure to get this bearing off the input shaft.

The bearing assembly has two ears that locate into the release arm - yes?

So is it use a puller to release the bearing from the shaft and then it'll turn so the 'ears' disengage from the arm?

Or do you turn it somehow first? (if so how? as currently seem reluctant to do that..)
And then use a puller to get it off the shaft?

Sorry if this is me being thick been a long day..

Chippy - 18/11/10 at 11:20 PM

It just pulls off, quite hard to do but thats all. HTH Ray

splitrivet - 18/11/10 at 11:46 PM

They are a pain in the butt to remove, best to use an allen key to depress the ears with the short arm reaching over the back of the release arm or just give it a tw@tting if your replacing it.
Cheers,
Bob

JimSpencer - 18/11/10 at 11:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
It just pulls off, quite hard to do but thats all. HTH Ray

Ok done that - pulled the front off the bearing..was totally shot so came off by hand!

So were now left with the back of the assembly still on the shaft.. with the locating ears trapping the clutch release arm.

So is it a case of thumping the ears with a suitable tool, until that bit turns through 90 degree's allowing the arm to be removed?

It can't be pulled off with the clutch release arm in situ as that's hitting the bellhousing hole.

Don't want to do the 'thumping it with a hammer' bit above if there's some clever bit i'm missing..

martyn_16v - 19/11/10 at 11:09 AM

I think after getting very annoyed with it I knocked the pin out of the bellhousing that the release arm pivots on. It's only gently pressed in, a light tap with a pin punch had it out.

I'm not too sure if the release bearing will turn, the theory is that the clips need depressing to release.

drury318 - 19/11/10 at 12:34 PM

Just put a flat blade screwdriver where the tabs are and twist, it really isn`t that difficult, no twisting or anything it just pops off,

Dennis.

JimSpencer - 19/11/10 at 06:02 PM

Hi All

Thanks for that - got the bu66er off - it had tweaked itself just out of line, a gentle tap and it as suggested came straight off.

Job done.