Board logo

Megasquirt identification
hobbsy - 10/2/11 at 11:36 PM

I bought this from a friend a year or so ago, never used. It was professionally built by extraefi.co.uk (or sold by them at least!)

I can't remember the specification of it exactly but I can spot a knock sensor and interface box, temp sensor, it's got a built in MAP sensor, a serial cable and the main loom.

Can anyone tell me any more than that based on the photo below, like how many cylinders it will run? I might use it on my R1 Turbo project (whenever I get around to starting it!) or I may just sell it.

[Edited on 10/2/11 by hobbsy]

coyoteboy - 10/2/11 at 11:46 PM

Tis an MS1 on a V3 PCB. Other than that I can't tell you much without looking through the docs. CAn't see a knock sensor or a temp sensor myself.

[Edited on 10/2/11 by coyoteboy]

hobbsy - 10/2/11 at 11:50 PM

The knock sensor is external (as it would have to be to work really!) the MAP you can't see but does exit from the side. It's more figuring out how many cylinders it's good for extra by looking at the drivers etc that I'm not familiar with.

BenTyreman - 10/2/11 at 11:54 PM

MS1 chip, V3 PCB. Regular idle valve transistor has been upgraded to a high power transistor (2nd from right), standard mod from ExtraEFI. Spr1 is connected to something, but without seeing the underside of the PCB it is impossible to say. I presume this is the knock input from the external filter box. I can only see the one spark driver. Some second spark drivers are fitted to the underside of the board, but the one I have from ExtraEFI has the second FET installed in the space in the heatsink on the topside, not present on yours. Will work up to 8 cylinders with the correct EDIS module, or 2 cylinders wasted spark. Installing a second FET is pretty easy though for anyone handy with a soldering iron. All MSs have provision for 2 temp sensors (water and air). Can't see any others fitted (EGT sensors, etc.).

matt_gsxr - 11/2/11 at 10:35 AM

Easiest to talk to Phil at Efi extra as he can advise on the best route and is good to people who don't use his stuff, so must be lovely to those who do.

Regarding Ms on bike engines. One challenge is getting the triggers into the MS. I don't know about the R1, but if you can run wasted spark then you don't need to worry about cam triggers, but can't do sequential injection.

If there isn't a wheel decoder for R1 then you can probably program one up yourself (under Ms2, under Ms1 is it too difficult).

An Ms2 daughter board upgrade is cheap (£50) and a worthwhile improvement.

If you choose to "Piggyback" the MS on the R1 ECU (to control the fueling) then that will make much of this simpler (and MS1 would do that well), but that would mean giving up on controlling the sparks.

Matt

coyoteboy - 11/2/11 at 05:16 PM

MS2 upgrade is about £100? Or it was last time I looked.

mark chandler - 11/2/11 at 06:04 PM

I run my blade turbo on MS1, so no issues with running your R1 that I can see.

I just squirt and leave the sparks to the OE stuff, my MS does not stretch that far.

Regards Mark