Board logo

supercharging and carbs
ianjenn - 11/4/11 at 05:53 PM

Hi All

Okay so my current engine is a zetec st170 running off bike carbs, think from zx6r or gsxr and the ignition is from a megajolt. In my forever search for more power I stumbled across info about adding a supercharger. (it already has a 50hp shot of nitrous). So I have fitted an eaton m45 (think it is ?) from a mercedes. At the moment it is still on the same jets as the carbs were set at prior to supercharging.
The fuel is now fed from an MSD 2225 fuel pump to a mallory 4309 fuel regulator (which gives fuel pressure 1psi above boost). The regulator has a line from the homemade plenum and the carb float bowls are pressurised using an 8mm pitot tube. I have lowered the floats by 1mm and set the baseline fuel pressure to 2.5psi.

I had my first run out today and was surprised to find that the fuel pressure goes off the scale of my 15psi gauge on acceleration. I was expecting a boost pressure of around 7psi Is this correct? My return line is 8mm and not restricting things.

Actually after checking I think I have miscalculated my actual boost. The crank pulley is approx 130mm and the supercharger pulley 70mm giving ratio of 1 - 1.8 so 10-11000 revs of the supercharger at 0.7l per rev. Think that means I will get 12psi boost but I am confused about engine displacement. Now I'm thinkin I might need an intercooler as the boost is higher than i thought?? and if I do have to fit an intercooler which one is best there are thousands on ebay!!

I have a rolling road booked in for next week so just wanted your opinion on my set up. Is there anything I have missed? ?intercooler? The engine seems to over rev at gear change a bit but otherwise runs okay? I have fitted a bypass valve from magnatec to ease the pressure at idle. Any other suggestions will be most welcome?
Best wishes
alex

[Edited on 11/4/11 by ianjenn]

[Edited on 11/4/11 by ianjenn]

ChrisL - 11/4/11 at 08:22 PM

Excuse my naivety but how do you supercharge carbs? I'm guess with an air box but would love to find out more....

ianjenn - 11/4/11 at 08:54 PM

well I'm no expert and things could go hideously wrong. After much internet surfing there is loads of info about turbocharging motorbikes and I have applied the same theory to my car. Using a pitot tube (type into google) I am pressurizing the float bowl so that the carbs can function under boost. The rolling road will be very interesting!!

Craigman9 - 11/4/11 at 09:05 PM

I also have a ST170 with ZXR9 carb's.

Would love to supercharge mine one day....

ChrisL - 12/4/11 at 06:42 AM

Some info on intercooler sizing here:http://www.unclebobsturbos.com/newbie.html

Given my above post I have no idea if it's any good...

FASTdan - 13/4/11 at 11:01 AM

Good work, I look forward to seeing how this one progresses As I've said before I'd like to swap the weber on my XR2 turbo for a set of bike carbs.....

ianjenn - 13/4/11 at 04:35 PM

Hi All
At my last rolling road the air correction jets were blocked off as I was running an air filter. I am wondering if the air correction jets now need to be unblocked as the carbs have a plenum and are pressureised. Does anyone know if I am makin any sense. Just wondering if this is the cause of my over revving atgear change
thanks
alex