Board logo

BLADE TURBO PLENUM
tompat3463 - 21/3/12 at 08:35 AM

Just a quick one.. does a turbo inlet plenum need to have internal trumpets ?? or can the plenum just attatch to the carbs trumpets ??

cheers Alan

T66 - 21/3/12 at 08:42 AM

The plenum on my Rotrex blackbird is basically an alloy box which sits on the tb's.

matt_gsxr - 21/3/12 at 09:02 AM

I think you would ideally have smooth airflow into the ITB.

ReMan - 21/3/12 at 09:23 AM

I was only looking t this myself last night as I was wondering whether it would be possible (albeit modified and sealed) to use the orginal airbox as a plenum?
I think that they should stay on, but that there proabably not that much differenc being under pressure

tompat3463 - 21/3/12 at 09:37 AM

Is the fireblade airbox not just plastic tho ??

The idea of fabricating a plenum isn't bothering me I would just like to know the best design for it before I start chopping

ReMan - 21/3/12 at 12:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tompat3463
Is the fireblade airbox not just plastic tho ??

The idea of fabricating a plenum isn't bothering me I would just like to know the best design for it before I start chopping

Yes it is plastic but it's quite a substantial moulding with a good seal around the edge.
I think that it would work with lashings of sikaflex around the seam at up to 10psi?

mark chandler - 21/3/12 at 04:36 PM

Mine is ally and split so I had to pin at 6psi !!!

I doubt the standard plastic one will hold together at 10psi, thats a lot of pressure at 6psi I am pushing 200bhp which must be near the limit of the gearbox.

I made trumpets for inside mine, do not know if it made any difference but the do slot into the front of the TB's. I welded into the plenum, leaving 3/8" proud which slots into the TB's then glued in with silicon

[Edited on 21/3/12 by mark chandler]

tompat3463 - 21/3/12 at 05:14 PM

I have read somewhere that trumpets inside the plenum make for a smoother boost delivery

On the same note a cylindrical plenum with entry at one end is also unsuitable as the first cylinder that the boost comes to gets all the brunt. That's why u see conical plenums rather than straight tubes. I do like the idea of the plenum being the shape of the oem box but as mentioned doubt that the abs would be up to the job !!

Al

Lebowski - 22/3/12 at 02:08 AM

Trumpets are better than no trumpets, and if you're designing from scratch you may as well incorporate them.