Board logo

Ford Duratec V6 Upper Inlet Manifold (UIM)
garybee - 19/11/12 at 12:43 PM

Is anyone aware of whether or not the Duratec's UIM can be turned round so that the throttle body points in the opposite direction? I would like to use one of these engines mated to a RWD gearbox and wondered if it would be able to use the original plenum rotated through 180deg. Looking at pictures (boltholes etc.) it appears that it may be possible.

ianjenn - 19/11/12 at 05:57 PM

Yes it will but you might have to alter your fuel injector rail to stop it fouling or put a spacer underneath

samjc - 19/11/12 at 11:10 PM

I was going to ask this sooner or later so thankyou, as its the wrong was std for a rwd setup. On the seven it would be facing the scuttle.

ianjenn - 20/11/12 at 07:22 AM

The st200 UIM is the smallest that will fit, but does require a spacer. The st220 is next and the one I have used. I have it facing the scuttle and had to modify the scuttle. I also had to grind a bit off the bottom to clear the fuel rail because I have the s-type lower manifold. The standard s-type UIM is HUGE.

My Build Diary

garybee - 20/11/12 at 08:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ianjenn
Yes it will but you might have to alter your fuel injector rail to stop it fouling or put a spacer underneath

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like you may have actually tried this, is that right?

ianjenn - 20/11/12 at 06:09 PM

Yes I tried all 3 manifolds in all orientations befor settling on the st220 with inlet at bulk head end. But because it is in a rear wheel drive 7type kitcar, modifying the bulkhead was easy

garybee - 21/11/12 at 10:59 AM

Good to know, thanks. I will have to cut the bulkhead just to get the heads to fit where it's going so don't have that option.

Cheers

Gaz