Board logo

How many bolts? Zetec to type 9
Shorty - 16/5/13 at 06:48 PM

I posted this on the Haynes forum but since it's not specific to roadster and I guess there are going to be a lot of people here with zetec-type 9, I thought I would post here too.

Just bolted my 1.8 focus zetec engine to type 9 gearbox and I only have 5 bolt holes that line up. Is that correct?
Not sure if I need a completely different sump but I was expecting at least one to fit underneath. There's 2 at top, 2 exhaust side(above where starter will be) and 1 on inlet side.
Oh and I'm guessing the red line I have marked is going to be approximately how much needs removing for the starter motor.

Any comments/ advice welcome

[Edited on 16/5/13 by Shorty]

coozer - 16/5/13 at 06:52 PM

Yes, the 5 bolts is fine, heres my sump mods for the starter.

I chopped the bottom up flush with the bottom of the bellhousing.

Shorty - 16/5/13 at 06:57 PM

Wow. That was fast.
Thanks, that has settled my mind, I was thinking everything was wrong. engine, bell housing, sump.

Oh, and do I need a spacer between the two?

[Edited on 16/5/13 by Shorty]

lewis - 16/5/13 at 07:14 PM

Same as above will be fine like that & how mine is

Shorty - 16/5/13 at 07:22 PM

I'm also in need of a starter if anyone has one that they don't want.

big_wasa - 16/5/13 at 07:40 PM

Also yes just the five, Off-putting isn't it just five little bolts to hold them together.

Spacer, you want a dust/stone guard. You can cut one out of a sheet of steel or alloy.

There are lots of starters that can be made to fit, some easier than others.

[Edited on 16/5/13 by big_wasa]

Shorty - 16/5/13 at 08:55 PM

Yes it is off putting, very surprising but I guess its been proven.

Yes dust/ stone guard. I've seen the previous post you mad about retro ford doing them but I don't think they do them anymore. can only see rs2000. Is there anyone else doing them?

If I do have to make one up, what sort of thickness should it be? I have the standard focus one and was very thin off the top of my head.

And easiest starter to fit? is it LRS707? I will keep a lookout for a 2nd hand for now for setting up but once happy will buy new.

big_wasa - 16/5/13 at 09:05 PM

Made mine out of 1.5 steel. That starter is the one most quoted as the one that will fit.

Shorty - 16/5/13 at 09:16 PM

Thanks again, great info.

tims31 - 16/5/13 at 10:41 PM

Yep as above, this is my spacer, crud guard

here