Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Will any places other than BOC refill a BOC cylinder?
BenB

posted on 29/6/20 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Will any places other than BOC refill a BOC cylinder?

Upgraded my welder at the weekend via Ebay. The listing included a rather large BOC Argoshield cylinder (sadly empty). My understanding is that BOC do yearly rental which wouldn't be cost effective for me. Would a fire extinguisher type place refill it or would the fact it's marked argoshield and boc property be an issue??? Otherwise what's the best option? Remove the reg and take the rest to the tip? Or weigh it in next time I'm getting rid of scrap metal (though they may be iffy if it was originally clearly boc's!!!).
r1_pete

posted on 29/6/20 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
BOC will refill it, but will start charging you rental, all bottle serial numbers are recorded against the renter, Some very old bottles are not on the database, hence how you got yours, safest way to dispose is to drop it off at a BOC depot, just tell them how you got it and walk away.

I doubt you will find anyone else to fill it.

See if you can still get a Beetle scheme rental from BOC, its about £40 a year for my 20L argo light.

I do find, size for size BOC gas lasts longer compared to the hobby suppliers, probably a better 'fill'.

I'm off to BOC for some fills this morning I'll ask if the Beetle DIY scheme is still active.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 29/6/20 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
The "beetle" discount still exists but it's called the "hobby" discount and it's roughly half published costs. Works out cheapest in the end, for an infrequent user.

The caveat is you have to collect and drop off the cyls yourself, they won't deliver.

[Edited on 29/6/20 by coyoteboy]

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 29/6/20 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Find a local welding supplies place and see what they do. I have a co2 cylinder which I pay about 50 pounds to get refilled. I've had it refilled once in 10 years as I'm not doing a lot of welding.

(Ok, they swap it for a full bottle - it's the exact same bottle refilled)

rusty nuts

posted on 29/6/20 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Go to your local Hobby Welder gas suppliers , possibly a motor factor, pay a refundable deposit plus the fee for the gas, easy and convenient plus motor factors often deliver
Big T

posted on 29/6/20 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
I’ve found Adams Gas to be the most cost effective.

I have an air products 90L bottle which I acquired full some years ago, it’s not unfortunately run out and Adams Gas was the most cost effective. Plus my local supplier is only 10 minutes down the road.

rusty nuts

posted on 30/6/20 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Big T
I’ve found Adams Gas to be the most cost effective.

The problem with Adams Gas is the lack of dealers, the nearest to me was 20 miles away which was a pain, he has now retired and the now nearest is 45 miles each way . Hobby weld seems to be sold by most motor factors and they deliver. When my Argon bottle is empty it is going back to Adams gas

nick205

posted on 30/6/20 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Go to your local Hobby Welder gas suppliers , possibly a motor factor, pay a refundable deposit plus the fee for the gas, easy and convenient plus motor factors often deliver

A lot of Motor Factors supply welding gas. Most Motor Parts Direct branches supply it on a "refundable deposit for the clinder + pay for the gas" system. I've not used them, but my local branch in Winchester do this. My neighbour has got his MIG gas from them for a few years. I think a few of the local garages that offer MoT welding get their gas from them as well.

fazerruss

posted on 30/6/20 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
There is also SGS (South west gas supplies) who have distributers all over the country. They do most of the industrial gases on a deposit scheme.
Currently its about 80 quid for a 20 litre cylinder plus what ever gas you want. I now have a pure argon and an oxygen. Might gas is probably around 50 quid for a fill. They are filled to same pressure as BOC (300bar). If you are a member of the mig welding forum you also get a £20 refund on your first cylinder deposit.

Edit: their website will tell you of nearest stockists

I'm not affiliated with the company, just a happy customer.

[Edited on 30/6/20 by fazerruss]

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

BenB

posted on 30/6/20 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
okay, great, thanks for the info.
Sounds like I might just have to get rid of the cylinder and get a proper one. We use BOC for our liquid nitrogen at work so I might see if the main who comes to fill that up will take the cylinder back to BOC depot. Otherwise I'll just let them know they can come and collect it if they want to.

To be honest it's that big I reckon even if they did fill it, it'd be a lifetime's worth of Argoshield. It's about 6 foot tall. Weighs a ton.

nick205

posted on 1/7/20 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fazerruss
There is also SGS (South west gas supplies) who have distributers all over the country. They do most of the industrial gases on a deposit scheme.
Currently its about 80 quid for a 20 litre cylinder plus what ever gas you want. I now have a pure argon and an oxygen. Might gas is probably around 50 quid for a fill. They are filled to same pressure as BOC (300bar). If you are a member of the mig welding forum you also get a £20 refund on your first cylinder deposit.

Edit: their website will tell you of nearest stockists

I'm not affiliated with the company, just a happy customer.

[Edited on 30/6/20 by fazerruss]

Checking the SGS website it links back to Motor Parts Direct in Winchester as their nearest stockist to me.

UncleFista

posted on 1/7/20 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Find a local welding supplies place and see what they do. I have a co2 cylinder which I pay about 50 pounds to get refilled. I've had it refilled once in 10 years as I'm not doing a lot of welding.

(Ok, they swap it for a full bottle - it's the exact same bottle refilled)

A bit "left field" but if you have a hydroponic shop near you, they sell CO2 for growing plants and the last refill (exchange) I got was £20.

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

paulf

posted on 1/7/20 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
I have used CO2 fire extinguishers for years,a local extinguisher company used to sell converted bottles with a screwdown tap and no Dip tube but eventually stopped doing so, I think on health and safety grounds propmted by there insurance.
I acquired a couple of 10 kg bottles from a fire suppression system and used them for a few years and nowadays I use CO2 extinguishers with an adaptor to take a standard regulator and pin down the handle to use .They do dispense liquid but as long as the flow rate is not to high the regulator seems to cope ok.

coyoteboy

posted on 2/7/20 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Local pub gas refiller refills my CO2 tank for MIG, £12 a fill. You might find someone willing to do the same but they may want to run inspections on the tank first.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.