Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: stainless zip tie technique?
crimondbanger

posted on 21/4/22 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
stainless zip tie technique?

got some stainless zip ties like in the link below for attaching some exhaust wrap.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281699220414

I cant get them particularly tight . Have tried mole grips, winding the tail around some long nose pliers, wedging with grips/screwdriver etc . Its all a bit naff so looking for advice on how to do it DIY effectively or link to proper tool someones used before.

Otherwise will buy some of those universal CV boot clips and appropriate pliers.

Cheers
Paul

westf27

posted on 21/4/22 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote

40inches

posted on 21/4/22 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
There is a tool for the job, winds it very tight. Should be available from your local factor or the likes of eBay?
Russell

posted on 22/4/22 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
Tool on Amazon
nick205

posted on 22/4/22 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
I had the same issue with the stainless zip ties - couldn't get them tight.

I resorted to stainless Jubilee type clips in the ens to secure my exhaust heat wrap (unaware of any special tools for the stainless zip ties).

peter030371

posted on 22/4/22 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
You really need the proper tool, I've never been able to do it without. Someone has already put up a link to the correct tool from Amazon. If you were closer you could borrow mine.
adithorp

posted on 25/4/22 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, you really need the tool. To be tight they need to be on something with some give as there's none in the tie. A CV boot is easy to over tighten but on say a loose exhaust heatshield it's difficult to get them tight. Exhaust wrap is probably somewhere in between.
Good tools tighten the tie then cut off the excess tail. Just watch out for the cut end as they're razor sharp, to the point you don't feel it and then wonder where the bloods coming from.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

crimondbanger

posted on 25/4/22 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
I got a loan of a proper tool and there still pretty naff . Apparently there main purpose is for the fireproof code on electrical cables so mabe using them on exhaust rap is just not the best thing.

going to use the universal cv boot cover types (oetiker?) and buy a tool for them. , have a few air hoses needing properly done as well so prob better investment .

Thanks for the help tho.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.