Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Protecting a tarmac drive while working on the car
Slimy38

posted on 30/4/23 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
Protecting a tarmac drive while working on the car

We've having a new tarmac drive laid next week, obviously nothing but footprints will go on it for the first week or so but I'd like to protect it from my attempts at car maintenance. It's more the physical damage, although oil spills are going to have to be kept to a minimum. I'm mainly considering dents and marks from jacks and axle stands.

I was thinking about a pretty basic solution, a sheet of exterior ply. Is the simplest solution the best here, or are there alternatives?

wonderfulweasel

posted on 30/4/23 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
I’ve used a piece of ply offcut under the jack’s wheels on mine. I think it was only 9mm thick (I just use what I have lying around at the time). It didn’t mark.

I didn’t put anything under the axle stands. They have small steel flats on the bottoms of each leg and it wasn’t on them for very long. I mostly lift it on the concrete in the garage.

The feet of the ladder for the scaffold we had a year or so ago did leave a couple of dents, but that was up for a couple of months.

perksy

posted on 30/4/23 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
I've always gone for exterior plywood off-cuts wherever possible

I guess Oil or petrol on it is more of a concern in the long-term

tegwin

posted on 30/4/23 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 2x2m square of thick floor vinyl that I roll out under the car, makes it easier to slide under and catches any drips... wipe it clean and roll it up in the garage when done

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Slimy38

posted on 30/4/23 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
I have a 2x2m square of thick floor vinyl that I roll out under the car, makes it easier to slide under and catches any drips... wipe it clean and roll it up in the garage when done

Ah, I like that idea. I might have to go vinyl shopping!

ReMan

posted on 1/5/23 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
If you don't mid me asking whats the sq/m price for Tarmac drive now?
Still not got to doing something with mine and after recent diesel spill, gold I didn't

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Slimy38

posted on 2/5/23 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Still not got to doing something with mine and after recent diesel spill, gold I didn't

It's difficult to give a decent sq/m price as we're having a lot of work done at the same time, but one space we have for the kids to play on is about 6 metres by 3 metres, and that chunk will cost us £800 on it's own. That's about £45 per square metre? But it might have been discounted as the rest of the work is quite substantial (about four cars worth of drive, new small fence, garden dug up and relaid, edging bricks all round).

ReMan

posted on 2/5/23 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan

It's difficult to give a decent sq/m price as we're having a lot of work done at the same time, but one space we have for the kids to play on is about 6 metres by 3 metres, and that chunk will cost us £800 on it's own. That's about £45 per square metre? But it might have been discounted as the rest of the work is quite substantial (about four cars worth of drive, new small fence, garden dug up and relaid, edging bricks all round).

Cheers for the insight anyway. Mine is similar, about 4 cars 10x10 too

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

mgb281

posted on 4/5/23 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
3/4” ply is all you need and as you are aware oil and particularly diesel spills ruin tarmac. At work we are careful about driving on new tarmac ( new home owners complain about tyre marks) but I have been driving a 13 tonne machine on tarmac laid last Thursday with no problems, in the heat of the summer it takes longer to harden off though.
Slimy38

posted on 4/5/23 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mgb281
3/4” ply is all you need and as you are aware oil and particularly diesel spills ruin tarmac. At work we are careful about driving on new tarmac ( new home owners complain about tyre marks) but I have been driving a 13 tonne machine on tarmac laid last Thursday with no problems, in the heat of the summer it takes longer to harden off though.

Aye, I'm going to go for the vinyl idea to block spills, I like the idea of just rolling it up after I'm done. The work started yesterday and the tarmac will be done Tuesday, so it'll be the weekend before I put the cars on it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.