Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MIG welder conversion
Mike01

posted on 8/5/23 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
MIG welder conversion

I'm looking for some advice,I've just bought a Cebora pocket turbo 130 MIG welder, I'm thinking I want to convert the torch to a euro standard one, and upgrade the Gas bottle size to a decent size rather than the hobby bottles , is this possible and can it be done at home ? I am not great with electrics lol I'm a plumber by trade...so avoids electrics where ever I can
theconrodkid

posted on 8/5/23 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
best to have a word on https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/ the font of all knowledge on welders, i have the same welder but in a snap on dress and upgraded it with a couple of mods to the earth lead, that converted it from "meh" to "woah".
imho there is no need to go euro just upgrade the earth system.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

ianhurley20

posted on 8/5/23 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
As far as gas is concerned I use gas from https://hobbyweld.co.uk/ . You pay a deposit on the bottle then swap and pay for gas only when needed and when you decide you don't need the bottle any more take it back and get most of your deposit back. I found it helpful to get a cheap wheeled mig stand off ebay which carries the bottle as well.

Slimy38

posted on 8/5/23 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Converting the gas to a full tank isn't difficult, you need a regulator and an adaptor. This is an example regulator;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Argon-Bottle-Welding-Regulator-Single/dp/B0084MTJ8U

And this converts the normal gas tube of your welder to the regulator;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MIG-Gas-Hose-Adaptor/dp/B00GCAW2BM

I went for a Hobby weld tank same as Ian, it's been great value and easy to get a refill when required.

I have to agree with conrodkid though, unless there is a specific reason to go for a Euro torch I would recommend you focus on the earth lead. I used a panel mounted Dinze female connector with a male connector on the lead, then went for nice and chunky cable and a big clamp. Here's an example of the connector;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363551827964

The whole earth lead replacement cost £20 all in, and it's exactly as conrodkid describes, it makes a massive difference.

Mike01

posted on 9/5/23 at 05:51 AM Reply With Quote
Definitely sounds like it's worth upgrading the earth and gas bottle setup then, the torch I was thinking about converting mainly due to the fact the original torch has been damaged (looks like it's been stood on or crushed) and thought of I had to go the trouble of replacing it ,would it be better to just upgrade at same time? Or just replace like for like?
Slimy38

posted on 9/5/23 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mike01
Definitely sounds like it's worth upgrading the earth and gas bottle setup then, the torch I was thinking about converting mainly due to the fact the original torch has been damaged (looks like it's been stood on or crushed) and thought of I had to go the trouble of replacing it ,would it be better to just upgrade at same time? Or just replace like for like?

Moving to Euro can be quite fiddly and definitely not cheap, whereas replacement torches for your unit are readily available and 'plug and play'. I personally wouldn't bother upgrading, but then I've never had the benefit of a Euro torch so I wouldn't know how much better they are.

theconrodkid

posted on 9/5/23 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
as Slimey says ^^^, just get a normal one but with a longer lead

edit to say, apart from the dinze, get a decent quality jump (soft) lead and there is a small lead inside from the trans ? to the new dinze you will install, that needs to be replaced as well

[Edited on 9/5/23 by theconrodkid]

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 10/5/23 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
I performed Euro Torch conversion on my pampered Migatronics MX5000 some time ago, and haven't looked back with any regret. The OE torch was working well, just that the external torch sleeve was starting the perish (surprised it lasted as long as it did, but the quality of the thing is/was exceptional).

Huge choice of torches, fittings, accessories, etc., opens up a whole range of possibilities.

Go Euro, just do it, you won't regret it.

indykid

posted on 10/5/23 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
I've been looking at putting a euro torch on my clarke 150te mainly for a longer and possibly slightly more flexible lead. The clarke torch is....fine, but it's always going to be hobby grade consumables for the hobby welders. I loathe the screw on shrouds

There are plenty of videos on youtube about people converting a variety of welders. Some make a nicer job of it than others with a variety of skill levels, but they all seem to get there.

Note you may need a gas solenoid too if the current gas control is valved on the torch switch. The parts for the conversion will probably run you about £100 with a decent MB15 torch. I was planning to fit parts to make it easier to change polarity to make it gasless too.

I'm mainly on the fence about converting mine because I don't want the extra length of the euro torch sticking out of the welder case - it fits under the bench now, but it'd be in the way with a euro torch

[Edited on 10/5/23 by indykid]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.